HDMI Wall plates - cut plug off

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by DeadEye, Mar 1, 2013.

1. DeadEye

DeadEye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Ok

So before burying my 13m HDMI cable into the wall, filling it, sanding it, filling some more, sanding to a nice flat finish and wall-papering with expensive wallpaper, I watched 10-15 BluRays, lots of Sky HD and plenty of PC over HDMI action to make sure there were no issues.

At the projector end of this cable about 6" from the ceiling I have put a power socket and a HDMI wall socket. Nice and neat, the wall plate as a HDMI plug behind it that the 13m cable connects to, then I have a 50cm cable from the wall to the projector.

It appears that despite prior testing, 13m is too long. I can't pull the cable out of the wall so I thought about chopping into the HDMI cable and feeding a double HDMI wall plate which would be 2/3 of the way - I could then use an active amplifier - the wall plate would be next to a normal 240 socket so power would be available.

a) Does this sound like a good plan
    b) Would I be better just having an amplifier up by the projector
    c) Can you get HDMI wall sockets that require a solder joint or other non-female plug type connection behind?

I have Googled it but i just keep finding wall plates with normal female sockets behind.

Thanks in advance.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,495