HDMI wall mount - no signal

drp99

Novice Member
I spent 6 hours installing in-the-wall HDMI cables behind by Wall Mounted TV (Sony XBR-65X950H). NO SIGNAL.

I have over 12 of these HDMI (Female - Female) connectors.
TNP HDMI Wall Plate (6 Port, White) HDMI Socket Plug Insert Jack Outlet Panel Mount Support 4K 60Hz HDR 1080P 3D Ethernet Built in High Speed Cable Ex

To mount the HDMI cables in the wall it takes 3-HDMI-cables and 2-HDMI-connectors for each run.

All cables are 4K Ultra HD and HDR compatible (1-Monster cable and 2-RocketFish cables).

Rocketfish 6 ft Ultra-thin, 18Gbps, HDR compatible.

Rocketfish 4 ft, 18Gbps, HDR compatible.

Monster, 4 ft, Advanced HDMI, Ultra-High Speed, 4 ft

Apple-TV >> HDMI Cable >> HDMI Connector >> HDMI Cable-In-Wall >> HDMI Connector >> HDMI Cable to Sony TV.

NO SIGNAL.

I questioned if the in-wall HDMI cable connection became lose. Therefore, I created the same path outside of the in-wall cables.

Tested the setup with 3-HDMI-Cables and 2-HDMI connectors outside the wall.

Apple-TV >>> HDMI Cable >>> HDMI Connector >>> HDMI Cable-In-Wall >>> HDMI Connector >>> HDMI Cable >>> Sony TV 65X950H. And, NO SIGNAL! Crap!

HDMI setup with 3-HDMI-Cables and 2-HDMI-Connectors WILL NOT PASS A SIGNAL from the source (Apple TV) to the target (Sony TV X950H).
And, NO SIGNAL! Crap!

HDMI setup with 2-HDMI-Calbes and ONLY 1-HDMI-Connect WILL PASS a SIGNAL from the source (Apple TV) to the target (Sony TV X950H).

Tested the setup with 2-HDMI-Cables and 1-HDMI connector outside the wall.

Apple-TV >> HDMI Cable >> HDMI Connector >> HDMI Cable >> Sony TV 65X950H.
And signal passes to from the Apple-TV Source to the target Sony 65X950H.

Is is normal for the HDMI wall connectors to be so poor as to block the HDMI signal? Total cable length is 14 feet (6 ft + 4 ft + 4 ft).
How does anybody put cables in the wall if the HDMI female-female connectors block the HDMI signal. My apple-TV, BD-Ray, and Stereo are immediately below the TV. Yet, it takes a 6 foot cable to reach the lower wall port and a 4 foot cable to reach the back of the TV.

DrP99
Apple-TV 4K
Sony XBR 65X950H-65".

Kapkirk

Well length should not be an issue, I run a 15 ft HDMI works just fine.

drp99

Novice Member
OK. I just tried another test for length with HDMI cables and the two HDMI wall connectors (outside of the wall cavity). Even though 6 ft + 6 ft + 4 ft = 16 ft, does not seem that long, a signal does not reach the target.

Apple-TV >> (HDMI 6ft) >> wall connector >> (HDMI 6ft)>> wall connector>> (HDMI 4ft)... NO SIGNAL. Total HDMI Cable length = (16 ft) + (2) connectors = no signal.

Apple-TV >> (HDMI 6ft) >> wall connector >> (HDMI 4ft)>> wall connector>> (HDMI 4ft)... NO SIGNAL. Total HDMI Cable length = (14 ft) + (2) connectors = no signal.

Apple-TV >> (HDMI 4ft) >> wall connector >> (HDMI 4ft)>> wall connector>> (HDMI 4ft)... YES, SIGNAL. Total HDMI Cable length = (12 ft) + (2) = YES SIGNAL.

HDMI Wall Connectors must truncate HDMI signal significantly. I actually have a (4 x 6ft cables in the wall) for each HDMI 1-4 TV connections.

It appears that maybe higher quality cables (Fiber Optic) may be needed to overcome the lower bandwidth of the signal that is passing through the HDMI Wall Connectors.

Are there better Wall connectors out there that will snap into a 6-outlet cover?

Do I need to spend $65/cable to place into the wall to overcome the poor HDMI wall connectors?​

HDMI Fiber Cable RUIPRO 4K60HZ HDR 6 feet Light Speed HDMI2.0b Cable, Supports 18.2 Gbps, ARC, HDR10, HDCP2.2, 4:4:4, Ultra Slim and Flexible HDMI Optic Cable with Optic Technology (2m)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Ditch the terminated wall plates and use ‘Brush’ plates and use a single HDMI cable from the Source to the Display.

For longer cable runs, which can be anything over 5m with UHD signals, the RuiPro4K Hybrid Fibre cables are very reliable - though always install in such a way as to easily replace an ‘installed’ cable.

Joe

Otto Pylot

@Joe Fernand is correct. The most reliable connection is a single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between. This is especially important if you use active cables such as the Ruipro 4k cable mentioned above. Brush plate or pass through plates is what you should be using. And yes, if you are going thru the wall it's best to setup a connection pathway that is easy to replace your cabling with because chances are you will be upgrading your cabling sooner than later if you choose to update to the HDMI 2.1 option sets someday. Conduit is what is suggested unless you have very easy access to your cabling. Sharp, 90º bends are to be avoided as much as is possible. Sharp bends can interfere with signal propagation and you also want to make sure that there is not any undue strain on the HDMI ports.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Agree with Joe and Otto, I have tried HDMI connectors in the past and the signal just fails. It's the additional connections that cause the issue. Replacing the cable will not fix this.

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom