HDMI vs TOSLINK for FPS games

xSILENTxSNIPERx

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a decent 32" Sony LED connected up to my Denon AVR 1713 (I think) using HDMI, I also have the AVR connected up to my PS3 via HDMI, my question is will using a TOSLINK cable for the sound (between AVR and PS3) reduce input lag, can I output the sound through both the TOSLINK and HDMI, which is best setup to reduce lag? I know I can't get HD audio through TOSLINK but that's not a problem. I currently have my PS3 settings set to bitstream to allow the AVR to do the work (as far as I understand) and it does sound better than when the PS3 is doing it, but does this create more lag? Only reason I ask is because I mainly play FPS games and lag matters to me.

I'm just curious because I saw a post earlier on another site while looking at something different saying HDMI creates 15.7ms lag or something, and I have a spare TOSLINK cable which I got given, and it looks like a good one too.

Many thanks in advance!

With HDMI the sound is embedded in the video , it is recovered in the amp and fed to the speakers.

If you use toslink , the PS3 must extract this audio , feed it over the toslink connection , then the receiver must take this audio and sync it back up with the video , in other words more processing is taking place. More processing = more lag !

It should be obvious from this that if lag is an issue , then the direct HDMI link is the better choice !

HDMI has to be used in any case , unless your gaming in SD ?

HDMI in its current incarnation incorporates technology that ensures that the audio and video being simultaneously conveyed remains in sync. If you convey the audio and video via seperate interfaces that use different protocols then you are increasing the chances of both being out of sync with one another. Also note that the vast majority of issues relating to audio delay are due to the display and its video processing. Modern TVs incorporate over complex video enhancement gimmickry which takes time to apply to the video prior to it being displayed. The audio may arrive before the video if a lot of this type of processing is applied by a TV. Some TVs allow for this processing to be overridden and some even incorporate a special gaming mode that bypasses it altogether. If you are experiencing issues with audio delay then you should turn off any additional video processing that you display may be applying to the content.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom