1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI vs DVI

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by hdrees, Oct 23, 2004.

1. hdrees

hdrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have just bought a Denon DVD player with HDMI and DVI, and am looking to buy a Panasonic 7 Series plasma after Christmas, but I want to know from a DVD playback point of view (progressive NTSC and PAL) which will get the best results and compatibility, a HDMI terminal board or DVI?
    If someone has a definitive answer on which is preferable in this situation I would be grateful as im trying to do as much homework as possible before buying the screen!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    I too am interested in this - I asked the same question in the thread "Panasonic 7 Series - DVI or HDMI - Which Digital Connection?" - as the issue has some specific issues for the Panasonic range.

DVI seems to be the best all round option at present although I think this is because little is known about the HDMI socket. Accordingly to the Panasonic manual the HDMI socket is extremely limited in what signals it can accept: but then the DVI manual is the same. The Panasonic socket is supposed to HDMI v1.0 (or v1.1?) compatible and, if so, should support a wide range of resolutions.

Has anyone actually got a 7 series plasma with the HDMI connection yet? And if so what DVD player have you coupled with it?

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello both

The TY-FB7HM HDMI board has not appeared as yet and as the DVI output on the Denon and the DVI Input on the Panasonic TY-42TM6DB Board have been pretty tricky in isolation your looking at potentially the trickiest partnership of all times.

The HDMI boards are not due unto the UK until December so you'll have to be patient.

Best regards

Joe

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Hi Joe,
    How about HDMI from the Denon to the DVI on the Panasonic? Has that also caused problems?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's what does cause the problems. The output from HDMI and DVI is identical picture wise, you're a veteran member, where have you been? It's the input on the panasonic which is difficult, it accepts 575 not 576p and everything outputs 576 with 1 or 2 exceptions. Just connect it up with analogue, and hang on for the HDMI board, and keep your fingers crossed.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Talking to much on the DVD recorders forum - my particular area of expertise :D

I mis-understood Joe's post - I though he was saying the DVI output on Denon was problematic in itself and I just wondered if the same was true of the HDMI output on the same machine. I appreciate that DVI is part of HDMI but was wondering if any machine specific issues meant there was a difference.