HDMI vs DP resolution

Marky1973

Hi All

Hope I haven't missed this somewhere else, but have a likely daft question about resolution and cables....

I am thinking about getting a BENQ EX2719R monitor to upgrade from my old FHD 24" monitor. I'm not going for all bells and whistles just something a little better - I'm a casual gamer and also use it for work. It is a 165hz display.

The BENQ sports HDMI 2 and DP1.4 I believe. As my Legion doesn't have a display port output, I am assuming that the best I am going to be able to get through HDMI is 1440p at 144hz?

I am also assuming that any adaptors that can link HDMI to DP aren't going to make any difference as the signal is still going through the HDMI cable.

This isn't a problem, just making sure my understanding is right - 1440p at 144hz is fine for me.

Cheers!

next010

Distinguished Member
Yes your bound by the limits of the HDMI interface so a DP adapter wont make a difference.

Also if you want to make use of Freesync you need an AMD GPU for HDMI connections, you may not need Freesync if you only play casual games its not a necessity.

Are you sure that model number EX2719R is correct, doesnt appear anywhere ?

Marky1973

Oh fat fingers - EX2710R - sorry - that's great, it's what I thought - and yeah have a R7 5800/RTX 3070 Legion as I was future proofing myself.....I say casual, but I'm not sure if I know what that means! :) Still like a FPS from time to time so thought this might be a nice monitor for games like that without going crazy and over-speccing with something I won't really use to its full potential.

Cheers!

next010

Distinguished Member
Oh fat fingers - EX2710R - sorry - that's great, it's what I thought - and yeah have a R7 5800/RTX 3070 Legion as I was future proofing myself.....I say casual, but I'm not sure if I know what that means! :) Still like a FPS from time to time so thought this might be a nice monitor for games like that without going crazy and over-speccing with something I won't really use to its full potential.

Cheers!

Something to keep in mind this is a VA panel with a strong 1000R curve, it can warp desktop applications in the centre of the screen. This drives some mad and others don't care.

Monitors with a 1500R curve are more mild, example Gigabyte 27QC if your still in the market for a curved VA panel.

Marky1973

Something to keep in mind this is a VA panel with a strong 1000R curve, it can warp desktop applications in the centre of the screen. This drives some mad and others don't care.

Monitors with a 1500R curve are more mild, example Gigabyte 27QC if your still in the market for a curved VA panel.
Yeah, not had a curved screen before so will be interesting to see how that sits. The flat IPS version is 50 quid more. I'm always umming and ahhing over IPS and VA but do like the contrast on VA....the accuracy of IPS isn't quite so important. To be honest, moving up from a 5 year old HD monitor should impress me enough not to care too much! 😀😀😀

anlygi

Are you sure your Legion 5 doesn't have USB-C alt mode that outputs DP? Most modern gaming laptops have them so I'd assume the Legion 5 does as well, what's the model? If it does, you just need one of these:

Amazon product

My teen uses that exact one on his ASUS laptop and outputs to a gaming monitor. I can't confirm higher than 144hz as that's the max refresh rate of both his 1080p and my 1440p screen, but works on both flawlessly.

Last edited:

Marky1973

Cheers, didn't think about that. It's a Legion 5 15ACH6H and it looks like it should work, so that's another option, ta!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom