HDMI Via Ethernet

Adziadam

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this has been spoken already by a lot of people in regards to Ultra high-speed HDMI. My problems lie in future-proofing as I will need to upgrade to this standard at some point and my wires will be inside my walls.

As it stands I have bought a 7.5m Active HDMI cable for 4k from monoprice but I am also looking to run an ethernet cable when my wires are going to be hidden behind the fireplace wall to run HDMI through ethernet.

Given the fact the ultra high speed (2.1) is going to be like 58gbps to be transferred I don't know if a Cat6 cable would work, would anyone know?

I don't want to run the risk of running CAT 6 if later down the road it won't be capable so would it be worth running this CAT 8 or is it not compatible with the current offerings as I remember hearing the cables need to be quite specific when it comes to running HDMI signals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 48
50 feet is 15 metres )approximately). That cable is a patch cable and therefore to meet CatX specification can be no longer than 10m in length. That cable would therefore fall outside of being Cat8. Yes it maybe a bit pedantic but if you are looking at particular Specifcations of cables Cat 5, Cat 5e, Cat6, Cat6a, Cat 7, Cat 8 etc you need to be within its parameters and 15m patch cable is outside of that. To be within specification you would need solid core Cat 8 and terminate it yourself (no mean feat with Cat 8) into Cat8 keystone jacks. This then becomes problematic as HDBaseT or IP Based HDMI really needs terminating into RJ45 or in this case GG45 plugs to minimise the number of connections and this is even more difficult to terminate than Keystone Jacks. Also that cable is 24AWG and Cat 8 cable is normally 22AWG.

My best advice is if you want future upgrade ability run a conduit.

As mushii says 'conduit' and a pull cord is the only future proofing at this time.

For current applications of HD over LAN or HDBT over CAT we tend to use and specify solid core. non-CCA/CCS, CAT6.

HDMI over HDBT, which does not sit within an Ethernet network, is the preferred solution for Home Theatre unless you are happy to give some image quality away to go HD over LAN.

Valens (HDBT) are only just catching up with uncompressed 4K UHD over a single CAT connection so predicting what will be required for anything higher bandwidth than 4K is tricky - in all likelihood you may find you will be using HDBT over Fibre for the next generation of kit (it is here already with some 4K HDBT applications).

Joe

Thanks for your help everyone, I guess spending the extra on installation could save me more in the long run as I guess this new kit wouldn't be cheap.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom