1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMi versus Component ? - significantly better ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Snowboard, May 15, 2005.

1. Snowboard

Snowboard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    This is my first post, so hoping for some useful and informative feedback !

I've just placed the order to upgrade my aging Sony STR-DB930 amp with a Denon AVR3805. The amp and the rest of my kit are located c.6m away from my rear projection screen, which I'm planning to replace with a Plasma in the next few weeks.

My problem is that I'm struggling to know whether I could expect a significant difference if I were to use an HDMi connection for the video signal, compared to component connection. I'm looking at either the Panasonic TH42PE50, or the TH42PV500.

Ie. if I use an HDMi input was condsidered to be 100% - the best you can get, would the same source connected via component be 99%, 80% or only half as good as the HDMi input ? (50%)

Also, I've seen some posts that suggest eBuyer is a dodgy place to buy - true ?

2. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The PE50 is a non HD panel, so feeding HDMI may well be fruitless if not impossible (not sure you can get a HDMI slot for the TV)! So component would effectively your only choice. Bear in mind you will be comparing a plasma to a rear projection.

The PV500 is HD and therefore you could feed it HD signals, you need a suitable DVD player. Never seen it myself but I would expect the picture to be a lot better than component. But you would end feeding component (upconverted via the AMP) for the vast majority of things, apart from DVD.

There's plenty of folk on here who can speak from first hand experience...

3. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    ps. always found ebuyer to be pot luck, as for getting refunds, well don't even go there.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Snowboard try a search (the PE50 has no HDMI) and HDMI is merely a necessary evil it IS NOT Significantly better than component in most installations, and HDMI DVD players are a needless upgrade for all but a few people.

5. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    so much for expectations then...

6. alliwant

alliwant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if they have stock..and it gets delivered...and works...then they are ok...if you want a refund or claim of any sort then they take months...but i have got my money back :)

7. Snowboard

Snowboard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks both.
    I did realise that the PE50 won't accept HDMi and that to use it I'd need the PV500, though looking back at my question, I can see why that didn't come across very clearly.

I think I'm all but settled on component connection for all my gear now. Cheers....

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would seriously reconmend if burying cables you do bury at least 1 HDMI like i said it is a necassary evil.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Like Horny says, if the cables are being buried, get as many connection types in as possible. I take it you already have sky or digital TV? And as you have a sound system, you don't have to have speakers on your plasma. That will of course make you run the sound continuously, but it will sound so much better than the speakers that come with any plasma.
    Connecting with component video means you can switch video and audio seamlessly via the 3805, and in fact with zone 2 you can switch a s-video or composite PinP as well, which is good fun if you have a number of sources.