1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI V1 and V2 Question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rnjones, Jan 15, 2004.

1. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read in the press that later in 2004 the second version of HDMI will be ratified. As far as I can tell V2 will include the capability to pass high quality multichannel audio.

This sounds great. Top way of connecting your DVD player to your processor/amp.

The latest issue of What Hifi video thingy mentioned in their brief review of the Pioneer 504 that it only supported HDMI V1.

Maybe I have had a hard day, or I am a bit thick (almost certainly). But why would you want to have the V2 option of passing multi channel audio to your plasma display :confused:

Maybe the new version will add some other features.

Can anybody enlighten me?

Thanks Rog

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    There is only one HDMI spec AFAIK. John Dawson kindly covered this in his talk at The Event. The issue is that the current devices that have HDMI implimented do not actually have chipsets that are capable of meeting the full spec.

The full spec send and receive chips are due to ship to vendors early this year I think. At that time the ability to support multi channel hi resolution digital audio will be supported until then it's plain old sp-dif audio.

Gordon

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    And I therefore conclude that there is no reason for the full spec version on a plasma display. After all you only want video, not sound.

Now, HDMI on the 868 will be another matter entirely as that will most definitely benefit from 'full spec' HDMI.

4. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interesting, please expand your thoughts on the 868