HDMI v DVI-D ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Maximum Bob, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Maximum Bob

Maximum Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, this might be a dumb question - but here goes....

Some players support either HDMI or DVI-D interfaces (and a few support both).

Is there a distinct advantage to swing one way or the other, if one had to choose between devices which support only one of these interfaces?

Requirement is primarly for UK DVD viewing on a DLP or LCD PJ.

2. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,585
    As both are digital interfaces, there should be no difference at all in picture quality (though someone will probably come up with a theory why one "looks better" than the other..)

The main difference is that HDMI carries sound as well as picture.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    DVI is an RGB colourspace, 8bit
    HDMI can be RGB colourspace in same format as DVI. It can also be 10, 12 or more bits and also component colourspace. DVD's are encoded as component digital signal. In theory you should therefore be able to get a signal that is closer to that which is on the disc out of an HDMI DVD player.

It will get turned in to RGB at some point though as that's how displays work. If it were me I'd be lookinng for an HDMI outputting player, particularly one that can support 480i or 576i component out on HDMI.

Gordon

4. Krishna

Krishna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Gordon. Can you advise a sub £399 HDMI-based DVD player AND Recorder in th UK market?? (Samsung HD945 great HDMI player, but nit recorder).
    Cheers...l

5. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Can some one explain why HDMI needs to have multichannel audio in the signal, if this is to be connected to the display (and not to your av amp to handle audio)?

6. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Because you could be routing via your AV amp (once amps with HDMI sockets appear of course), therefore you remove the need for 2 cables from your source device

7. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    I see, thanks for that. I guess we all have to wait for these HDMI capable amps, any idea when that would be? Hopefully it will filter down to budget prices quite quickly.

8. Krishna

Krishna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Attention anyone:

Can you advise a sub £399 HDMI-based DVD player AND Recorder in th UK market?? (Samsung HD945 great HDMI player, but not recorder).
    Cheers...K

9. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hopefully... On the other hand, I'm not going to worry about it too much until amps that support the new versions of Dolby Digital and DTS that have been announced for the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats become available, which probably won't be until this time next year

10. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I still think that for the moment, DVi is the better choice. HDMI will be changed in the future and upgraded to include multy channel sound. At the moment its can only handle stereo sound and the digital picture.

As many have pointed out, there are very few amps that accept HDMI so it is pointless at this time to buy a product solely for its HDMI conection.

I also feel that a cable that transfers both sound and picture cant be better than a cable that handles the picture exclusively.

Im sure in the long run, HDMI will eventually be better than DVI as it has the potential to grow. But for the moment, DVi is a more convenient conection as many TV's and Projectors use it but not HDMi.

I also realise that they are both interconective, so i guess it wouldnt matter which one you get.

My point is that the current version or HDMI isnt as good as it will be and there fore is not supperior to DVi.

11. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDMI 1.1 can at the mo handle multi channel sound (IIRC) aka the Arcam DV29

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    Indeed the silicon to allow mult channel, hi resolution sound from an HDMI output is available. It's the receiver chipset for the amplifiers that's thin on the ground.

Gordon

13. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,

You'll be able to help. With a Denon 3910 (Component, HDMI and DVI) and a display (Component and DVI), which is the best option for connection:

1. Using component
    2. DVI to DVI
    3. HDMI to DVI

Am I right in thinking that 2 and three will produce the same results as I think the Denon will automatically output a RGB signal from the HDMI socket if it is connected to a DVI input??

If that's the case which then will give better results...the analogue component or the digital RGB? Thanks.

Bruce

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    I think you need to do the dem and find out. There isn't a definative answer. It's dependant on display andn I do not own a 3910.

Gordon

15. Vanderlay

Vanderlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    None available. The Pioneer is the first recorder with HDMI only just about to enter the market on the wrong side of 1000£. In 6 months time, probably some more models will appear. At least, in the US, a Toshiba HDMI recorder/player is already available in the price range you mention