1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI to VGA

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Irene, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Irene

Irene Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi there,
    I am ready to buy a Panasonic 42pz85b, it has a VGA slot to connect a pc and my pc has a HDMI slot on the graphics card, the plasma has got 3 HDMI slots but I will be using them for other stuff could anyone tell me the best way to connect them, could I get a HDMI to VGA lead or a HDMI to VGA converter and would any of them carry sound. Sorry about the long post but I'm not very well clued up on this.
    Thanks
    Irene
    ps I also posted this question on the plasma flat panel forum hope that's ok.

2. Andy98765

Andy98765 Well-known Member

Ratings:
    +1,334
    1. VGA does not carry sound
    2. HDMI to VGA only via a converter
    3. If your PC has a DVI output you can normally use a DVI to VGA adapter.
    4. DVI and VGA do not carry sound.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Ratings:
    +1,978
    Hello Irene

Whilst HDMI to HD15 (VGA) is possible (http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/vision_fc4.htm) it would be far simpler/less costly to install a Multiple Input HDMI Switch to your system - see http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDS5-UK.htm

Most folk would route all of their HDMI Sources through the Switch - though if you want to retain 'Picture in Picture' mode on your TV you may want to Route one Source (PC) direct to HDMI Input 02 on your TV.

Joe

4. un1eash

un1eash Well-known Member

Ratings:
    +658
    I would go the hdmi switcher route. This is what ive done, i have my sky-hd, PS3 and hd-dvd player going through a switcher to hdmi1 on the tv. I then have my pc connected to hdmi2 on the tv.

This gives me full 1080p resolutions(vga doesnt) 1:1 pixel mapping and also my HD4870 carrys sound over a single cable.

What graphics card does your pc have?

5. Irene

Irene Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi there,
    My graphics card is a G Force 8400 GS but it has a HDMI slot instead of DVI which is a bit strange, my plasma will be wall mounted where would the HDMI switcher go, told you I was dense :(.
    Thanks
    Irene