• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDMI to VGA

mfizz

So I have a monitor, it only has VGA so I bought a hdmi to VGA cable which doesn't work with my (sky/xbox/ps3). Prior to this my laptop has a VGA output so I bought a adaptor from VGA to dvi so I could plug it into a dvi input monitor at my office, which also didn't work.

I am confused as to how this works. You get numerous dvi to VGA adapters which you plug in from your graphics card for use on VGA input monitor.

Could someone please explain how this works. and what i would need to get my ps3 and xbox to work on vga monitor.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
So I have a monitor, it only has VGA so I bought a hdmi to VGA cable which doesn't work with my (sky/xbox/ps3).

Sorry to tell you that you caught out there by one of the many fraudsters selling these cables. No simple cable can work between HDMI and any analog connection. There must be some circuitry involved to both remove the HDCP content protection ( illegal by the way ) and to decode from digital to analog.

Ebay , third party sellers on Amazon , and many others sell such cables that cannot possibly work and they know this. The business model of the con is that the items are usually cheap , cheaper than the shipping costs they insist you have to pay to return the item !

Prior to this my laptop has a VGA output so I bought a adaptor from VGA to dvi so I could plug it into a dvi input monitor at my office, which also didn't work.

DVI has a few flavours , DVI-A , DVI-D and DVI-I.
For a VGA to DVI adaptor to work the crosspoint connections ( c1,c2,c3,c4, and c5 ) at the side of the connector must be fully wired. See the pinouts on the right on this page.

Digital Visual Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are usually not present on DVI-D ( all digital ) DVI connectors , which is most likely why your adaptor didnt work. If you have a DVI-A or DVI-I connector that did have those connections , then there may need to be some kind of software switch engaged to go from digital to analog , depending the device you were using.

The only device I know of that actually works when connecting HDMI to a VGA port is the HDfury , and they are not cheap.
Solutions that convert HDMI to analog never are.

I also must throw a warning in there , manufacturers and content providers do not like devices that strip away HDCP content protection , and while this device may work for you when you buy it , it may be disabled through some future software update.

HDfury.com

mfizz

Wow that has to be by far one of the best answers I have ever received. So my VGA output to a dvi output adaptor wouldn't work then. ( I was using a dvi cable connecting to the monitor)

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Check the DVI connection on the monitor , if there is no crosspoint pins , ( usually just the middle connection is there ), then no , it couldnt work as that would be DVI-D and cannot take an analog connection.

Most monitors that have both DVI connections and VGA connections , have DVI-D connections so that wont take analog VGA signals.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
There must be some circuitry involved to both remove the HDCP content protection ( illegal by the way ) and to decode from digital to analog.

HDCP is optional so not all devices will be using it, or will only use it for some content types.

And I find it hard to believe that using an HDMI to VGA converter is illegal, do you have details?

Last edited:

andy1249

Distinguished Member
EndlessWaves said:
HDCP is optional so not all devices will be using it, or will only use it for some content types.

And I find it hard to believe that using an HDMI to VGA converter is illegal, do you have details?

The digital millennium copyright act makes it illegal for any device to deliberately circumvent copyright protection. The hd fury does this, as most would want such a device for connecting bd players to older TVs. Bd titles have hdcp protection.

In addition , content providers may add key revocation to future titles on detection of such devices, which is why it's not guaranteed to stay working.

simplicity96

Distinguished Member
Its actually vga to hdmi or to be precise d-sub (vga) to hdmi. They only work one way but they do work but again only from a d-sub port to a hdmi.

But for the op this is no use.

LJx

with regards to the xbox, you can buy cheap xbox vga cables or official expensive ones, but no sound though so you need to hook that up separately

mfizz

LJx said:
with regards to the xbox, you can buy cheap xbox vga cables or official expensive ones, but no sound though so you need to hook that up separately

I threatened the person who supplied me with the hdmi to VGA I supply me with a Xbox one that worked. He is sending one now. It better work or I'm claiming counterfeit goods.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom