• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDMI TO VGA converter HELP

danialaxx

Standard Member
I recently brought a HDMI to VGA converter to connect my Sky + HD box to my Panasonic TH-42HD5.

I have plugged the HDMI cable to the converter and plugged the VGA from the converter to the moniter. I have set the moniter to P.C mode and it comes up with the standby "SKY +HD ...please wait". It then loses signal.

P.c mode has to be the right setting because the "SKY....please wait" part does not show on any other channel?

As you can tell i dont know much but i have gone through days of trying to get this Moniter to work with my SKY +.

Please help?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
What model of HDMI to VGA converter did you buy ?

danialaxx

Standard Member
Hi there,

Thanks for replying. I brought a HDMI Expansion full hd 1080p with deep colour and hd audio. It also says hdmi version 1.3. I brought it from HD cables.com if that helps?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
It doesnt really help without a link. I can find HDcables.co.uk but they dont list anything like you describe.

The reason I was asking is because unless the unit you bought makes provision for stripping away the HDCP layer from the HDMI signal and for providing a handshake back to your source telling it all is OK , then it will not work.

The issue here is most likely HDCP , the only HDMI to VGA converter I have seen actually work with a non HDCP enabled set is the HDfury , see here ,

HDfury

badkarma

Established Member
Says its HDCP compliant.

Have you tried any other HDMI sources ? PS3, blu-ray player etc..

Is you Sky box set to output 1080i ?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Yes , by the spec , that box should work for outputting a Sky HD box to a VGA input on the TV.

It does mention about checking the output resolution , but sky cant go any higher than 1080i anyway , so not sure what the issue might be here. Is there any setup routine for the actual box itself ?

badkarma

Established Member
Yes , by the spec , that box should work for outputting a Sky HD box to a VGA input on the TV.

It does mention about checking the output resolution , but sky cant go any higher than 1080i anyway , so not sure what the issue might be here. Is there any setup routine for the actual box itself ?

Was pinning some hope on the box output being set at 720p, don't know if the PHD5 will do this at 50Hz.

As you say 1080i should work according to the product blurb.

danialaxx

Standard Member
Thanks again for your replys.

As far as i was aware the SKY HD was already set to 1080i.

The box did not have a set up it was just plug in and go!

We dont have any other Hd sources to try it on. We know the VGA on the monitor works because we managed to get our laptop on to the TV and it was great qaulity.

I thought the SKY boxes where preset to 1080i?

Ill tell my other half when he gets home and get him to have a fiddle and we could check it is set to 1080i.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you
Dani

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom