HDMI to SCART

klomarz

Novice Member
Hello everybody.
Here's my problem: I got a new sat-decoder from a primary Italian provider.
Its HDMI output goes to a HDMI splitter, one of which output goes to the HDMI input of the principal TV, while the other goes to a HDMI to SCART adapter. This adapter is connected through SCART to a radio-transmitter which sends the signal to its counterpart, which is connected through SCART to an old TV set (dated 1999).
Now, the TV reproduces the signal in b/w, while the audio is good, and acting through the remote control I can command correctly the decoder on the other side.
Please note that with the previous decoder I could see perfectly on the old TV, but that decoder still had a SCART port, which the new one doesn't.
Before to change the old TV set, I'm asking if you think that the problem is solely on the TV's side, and it would be sufficient to get a younger TV (with SCART) or if you think that in any case after converting from HDMI to SCART the signal would be b/w with any TV.
I would like to save the transmitter, cause HDMI transmitters cost as much as a new TV!

Thanking you for your help

mike7

Distinguished Member
I don't think you will find a new TV with a SCART input. They were discontinued some time ago.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
SCART was a combo connector that supported various types of signals and from what I remember you used to get issues like this when the devices on each end weren't sending and receiving the same type.

So if there's any options (e.g. RGB/S-Video/Composite) on the HDMI converter, the wireless link and the TV try the various combinations.

HDMI came in circa 2004ish so I'd expect 1999 to be close to the best age for SCART support and I wouldn't bother trying to replace the TV in the hopes of getting one with wider support.

klomarz

Novice Member
SCART was a combo connector that supported various types of signals and from what I remember you used to get issues like this when the devices on each end weren't sending and receiving the same type.

So if there's any options (e.g. RGB/S-Video/Composite) on the HDMI converter, the wireless link and the TV try the various combinations.

HDMI came in circa 2004ish so I'd expect 1999 to be close to the best age for SCART support and I wouldn't bother trying to replace the TV in the hopes of getting one with wider support.
Thank you EndlessWaves, you gave me the solution.
I didn't notice the little switch in the HDMI/SCART converter before, but thanks to you I turned it on PAL, and now the signal goes to the old TV in full color and audio.
I really do thank you for your advice!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom