HDMI to SCART adapter

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Zaichik, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Is there such a thing as an adapter which allows an HDMI cable to be plugged into a SCART socket? I've found lots of things which do it the other way round.

My new TiVo has one HDMI out and one SCART out and I want to connect it to a DVD recorder (for archiving), as well as my TV. However, neither the DVD recorder, nor the TV has an HDMI socket. I would prefer not to use a SCART splitter because I've yet to see one that doesn't degrade the signal.

Is there any way round this?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Your DVD recorder should have 2 scart sockets on it. One in and one out. Connect TIVO to the IN scart and the OUT scart to your TV.

This should work both on your TV and enable you to archive TiVo as well. The DVD recorder can be off and the scart will pass-through the TiVo signal to your tv.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,470
    HDMI being digital allows the content owners to encrypt the high value content your viewing/recording.

SCART being analogue and SD is always going to give you a reduced quality of image (even in RGB mode).

An HDMI to SCART device would always have to output an SD image as the SCART Input on your recorder is not HD compatible – and that’s before you start worrying about the HDCP copy protection.

As jammyb2004 says your Recorder should offer SCART Input/output – for best results ensure you have the Source and Recorder both set to RGB not Composite via SCART.

Just remember the SD recording on the PVR is never going to look as good as an HD Broadcast/Recording on the TiVo

Joe

4. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I must admit, I hadn't thought about running a through loop. The one complication is that, currently, I have a SCART switch on the DVD recorder's SCART-in socket because we also use it for recording from a satellite box and I assume the throughput would only work if that switch was set to allow the TiVo signal through - which would preclude recording from satellite when we are watching anything on TiVo.

5. GMetz46

GMetz46
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello, I wonder if someone could help me out, I have been offered an Apple TV unit which has only HDMI outputs as far as I know, I have a severn year old 42" Tiny (Tiny Computers) Plasma TV which uses a Samsung panel, my problem is this TV is only SD so does not have HDMI inputs only Scart and a couple of others that are in use with DVD (component) DVD with hard drive and burner (scart) Sky (scart). I do not want to replace this TV Yet, still has great picture and am waiting for OLED screens to increase in size and reduce in cost, My question is how can I connect the Apple TV box to my TV? is there a special lead on converter? many Thanks. G

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,470
    If it’s the New ‘Black’ Apple TV (HDMI only) you will require an HDMI ‘converter’ – if your Display is capable of Component input via 3RCA or RGBHV via VGA you can use an HDFury2.

If it’s the Old ‘White’ Apple TV you have 3RCA Component out as standard!

Joe

7. GMetz46

GMetz46
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many Thanks for your comments, at least I now know what to look for. You've been a great help, thanks, G

8. MPL

MPL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone

I'm new here and don't know how to start a new post (yes, I know...) but this looks like the right place to ask my question and get some help. I now live in Quebec, Canada. I brought my JVC sound system with me from the UK, and the only output is a SCART connection.
    We have just purchased a new Samsung FX2490HD 24-in 1080p LED LCD HDTV (Costco - Samsung® FX2490HD 24-in. 1080p LED LCD HDTV**) and it has an HDMI and Component(Y/Pb/Pr) input.
    We were hoping to connect them because the sound on my JVC system wood-cone system (find specifications here DVD Compact Component System - EX-A1 - Introduction) is excellent, and the system allows you to play DVDs.

I'm wondering if there is a simple way of doing this with cables and converters? From the discussions I've seen, it would seem the answer is no :-(

Thanks

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,470
    A SCART to 3RCA (Composite video + Stereo audio) cable will get you a picture – though it's not going to look too good on a Full HD 1920x1080 pixel array.

If you have a UK to US power converter with a spare socket available you could look at a JS Technology RGB to YUV (Component) converter on the SCART Out of the JVC – this is going to produce a far better image; RGB to Component (YUV) Video Converter: J.S. Technology

Your US/Canada sourced TV likely won't support 50Hz signals so you may be limited to playing R1 discs only – check the User manual if your hoping to play lots of R2 (50Hz) discs.

It looks like the JVC unit has stereo line inputs so easy enough to plug the audio out of any Blu-ray, DVD or Media Streamer/Console (PS3) into the TV via HDMI for BD and/or DVD playback plus stereo audio to the JVC and simply ignore the JVC DVD drawer!

Joe

PS Keep in mind SCART was never used in the US/Canada so not much support over there.