HDMI to HDMI + audio recommendations

Greg66

I‘m doing a (very) budget silent cinema for the garden for this summer. I have

• An Apple TV as my source; the type with only an HDMI out.
  • An old Epson projector with HDMI in and no audio pass through/audio out.
  • A wireless transmitter powering stereo headphones, with a 3.5mm input.

I need (I think) a box between (a) the Apple TV and (b) the projector and the transmitter, which can split the combined AV output from the ATV into separate audio and video feeds. I can then plug the HDMI from the ATV into that box, and connect the projector to said box with an HDMI cable for video and connect the transmitter to said box with a 3.5mm jack cable. That should - I hope - get video and audio to the right places. There is no requirement to future proof this system, or build in a possibility of sound via an amp and speakers - it’s just a bit of fun for summer(s).

Amazon offers a selection of fairly generic looking HDMI to HDMI plus audio splitter boxes. Are they all much of a muchness or are there any to avoid/prefer?

TIA

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI Audio Extractor - preferably you go with something which is externally powered, having onboard EDID management can be handy too.

Presumably you are working with a 1080p/SDR/HDCP1.4 projector?

Output HDMI cable length can be a factor too?

Joe

Upvote 0

Greg66

Yes to those projector specs (Epson EH-TW3600, which daughter is using at Uni for the time being) - so nothing grand by today’s standards.

It’s a 7.5m cable run from the ATV to where the projector will be at the absolute maximum, so that should be ok from what I have read.

Upvote 0

Greg66

Looks like it works! As the projector is still at Uni, I grabbed an old monitor and hooked into the HDMI port of that for testing.

The transmitter and headphones are Harry and Donkey from Silent Disco King - Equipment. The HDMI splitter came from Amazon. And it all works, without any lip sync’ing issue.

I picked up a cheepy cheap 120” indoor/outdoor screen from Amazon too, complete with a frame a guy ropes to stabilise it.

I’m quite looking forward to summer...

Attachments

• 68285DBE-B0D8-4186-B46B-59A7D4E6968B.jpeg
    68285DBE-B0D8-4186-B46B-59A7D4E6968B.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 0

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
H&S is key with an outdoor screen - you don’t want it blowing away!

Hope it all works out as planned.

Joe

Upvote 0

markie4tv8699

Yes to those projector specs (Epson EH-TW3600, which daughter is using at Uni for the time being) - so nothing grand by today’s standards.

It’s a 7.5m cable run from the ATV to where the projector will be at the absolute maximum, so that should be ok from what I have read.
I would check out optical hdmi cables , long runs with no handshake problems.

Upvote 0

fletch20050

Novice Member
can anyone help.
Just purchased a ONKYO TX-SR606 amp, want to connect up using HDMI
I have a Samsung DVD/BLU Ray with one HDMI - OUT
A Virgin Sat Box with one HDMI - OUT
A MAG324 Streaming box with one HDMI - OUT
Samsung Smart TV with four HDMI (1-(DVI) 2-ARC 3 & 4)
On the Onyko amp there's is four HDMI - IN and one HDMI - OUT
1. game, 2. cable sat, 3. vcr/dvr 4. dvd and the OUT HDMI

How and what's the best way to connect up all, this is all new to me.
I've attached a bit of diagram, if anyone can be of assistance.
If anyone can say which cable goes to what.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0

Greg66

Short version:

sources -> amp -> tv

Long version:
Your blu ray player, the sat box and the streamer each should be connected to an HDMI IN on the amp. Then you comment HDMI OUT on the amp to HDMI IN on the TV.

(This assumes that you won’t be using the streaming capabilities of the TV, and will just be using the TV as a monitor).

Upvote 0

fletch20050

Novice Member
Short version:

sources -> amp -> tv

Long version:
Your blu ray player, the sat box and the streamer each should be connected to an HDMI IN on the amp. Then you comment HDMI OUT on the amp to HDMI IN on the TV.

(This assumes that you won’t be using the streaming capabilities of the TV, and will just be using the TV as a monitor).
Hi.
Yeah just using the TV as a monitor, but which HDMI IN on the TV is it the ARC or any IN

Upvote 0

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The ARC port on the TV will usually be labelled ARC (your notes would suggest it is Input 2).

You only require to use the ARC port if you are trying to send audio from the TV back to the AVR - when you have your Sources connected to the AVR and are not planning to use the TV Apps, Tuner or additional devices connected to the TV then ARC is irrelevant for you.

Joe

Upvote 0

rpitsing

Novice Member
Would like to run AppleTV4k to new OLED and audio to older AVR. Fury looks to be discontinued. What is the least expensive option to accomplish this?

Upvote 0

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It all depends on the capabilities of the AVR, the content streams you wish to play and your expectations for what signal arrives at the AVR.

Your base line would be Source > TV then TV Optical Out to AVR Optical Input, that may support up to DD5.1 depending on the TV capabilities.

Joe

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom