HDMI to HDMI ARC / eARC

CraigABaird

Novice Member
I have an older Panasonic TV with the sole HDMI outlets, the speakers aren't a great quality and I want to upgrade with a decent sound bar. I have been informed that the new better sound bars with Dolby Atmos®/DTS:X sound you require a TV with HDMI ARC or the more recent version of HDMI eARC for the sound bars to work effectively.

The TV is fine and the picture quality still very good. I have read that there are HDMI extractors/adaptors available, but they appear most effective going from HDMI ARC back to AV receiver or similiar.

Can anyone assist with a way to get around the issue without losing the sound/channel quality between the TV and modern sound bars or having to buy a new TV?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The HDMI ports on the TV will be inputs. If they don't support the audio return channel then they won't be outputting anything.

You need to find out what audio outputs your TV does have.

EDIT: Yup, typo.

Last edited:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The HDMI ports on the TV will be imports. If they don't support the audio return channel then they won't be outputting anything.

You need to find out what audio outputs your TV does have.
“Inputs”, typo I presume 😀

JayCee

Distinguished Member

It has a TOSLINK Digital Audio Cable output.​

You can certainly use that but it won’t output Atmos and you’ll need to control the volume using the one supplied with the Soundbar.
What are you using with the TV?, just it's internal tuner or a Sky/BT/Virgin media box, Blu-ray, games consoles etc?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom