• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDMI to DVI

Trendyninja

Established Member
Help,

Apologies if this has been answered before but here goes:

I'm getting a PS3 tomorrow but I have a bit of a problem which could determine me being able to get it or not.

I'm playing my games currently through a Packard Bell 19" ws monitor, model 900w. It has 2 vga connections and 1 DVI. Am I able to buy a HDMI to DVI converter? If so, what will I have to do for my sound? I have an audio socket at the back of the monitor too so if I connect my speakers through that socket will I be ok?

Cheers

Elecktro

Standard Member
You will be able to play your ps3 on your monitor if it i HDCP enabled (i believe..although i might be wrong..my monitor is HDCP enabled so there is no problem..i am not 100% sure if you can connect the ps3 on non HDCP monitors)..you will have to find this out...

Apart from that you can buy a DVI to HDMI adpator or DVI to HDMI cable no problem...as for sound you can use optical out if you have hifi or similiar..or like me since i have my speakers built into my Monitor...i use the RGB cable connected to the PS3 and connect it into my PC Sound socket...using a stero jack adaptor..which is like £2 from Maplin....any way hope that helps....

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Sorry to sound like a thicko but how do I find out if my monitor is HDCP enabled?

Easiest way is to check on the manufacturers web site. However even if they do say it is HDCP compliant there is still an outside chance it may not be or you may have a problem getting it to work.

Trendyninja

Established Member
Right this is getting all very confusing.

I have now learnt that my DVI connection is a DVI-D, whatever that means?

I've been on the Packard Bell website and can't find anything about HDCP compliance.

My model monitor is Packard Bell Maestro 190W.

Why have Sony made it so hard for people to connect the PS3 to a monitor? Why not just introduce a VGA lead like the 360 too?

Can anybody help me? :lease:

inzaman

Its easy all you need is something like this or this and you should be away, so long as your monitor is hdcp compliant. My pj is about two years old and that is hdcp compliant and only has dvi and the ps3 works fine. I used an adaptor like the second one in the above links. Not that actual one as i sourced from ebay, it was only about £6.

Trendyninja

Established Member
Cool thanks for that.

Apart from going to the manufactures website (which I have done) is there any way other way in which I can find out if my monitor is HDCP compliant?

Any physical test I can do to the monitor? I'm really desperate here as I so want to get a PS3 tomorrow.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Cool thanks for that.

Apart from going to the manufactures website (which I have done) is there any way other way in which I can find out if my monitor is HDCP compliant?

Any physical test I can do to the monitor? I'm really desperate here as I so want to get a PS3 tomorrow.

The only physical test would be to actually connect a cable to a device that requires HDCP and see if you get a picture.

ocelot20

Established Member
Hi I bought a HDMI to DVI lead from Tesco for 97p. There is a problem the end of the HDMI to DVI cable looks like this. And on the back of my TV the PC in connector looks like this. So can anyone point out to me a good adapter to me so i can get my HDMI to DVi work with my PS3 thanks.

Edit: I have seen these adapters on ebay and that brings me to my last question would I get HDMI picture quality?.

dekoded

Established Member
The first connector is DVI, the second is VGA.

You can't use a VGA connector to connect you PS3 :thumbsdow

marauder6666

Established Member
DVI connectors contain both analog and digital signals, the 4 pins at one end of the DVI are the analog VGA connection. The PS3 doesnt output any analog signals over the HDMI connection, so there's nothing to pass to the TV through the DVI analog pins, so you cant put the DVI into a VGA adaptor and get a picture through a VGA socket on the TV.

There's two types of DVI connector, DVI-D and DVI-I, D is digital only, I is digital and analog, the analog using the 4 additional pins.

Something else to be aware of is that most DVI connections dont implement HDCP for content protection, if it doesnt you'll just get a black screen. Check in the manual for the monitor about HDCP on DVI, if it doesnt mention it then its probably not implemented.

ocelot20

Established Member
DVI connectors contain both analog and digital signals, the 4 pins at one end of the DVI are the analog VGA connection. The PS3 doesnt output any analog signals over the HDMI connection, so there's nothing to pass to the TV through the DVI analog pins, so you cant put the DVI into a VGA adaptor and get a picture through a VGA socket on the TV.

Thanks looks like there is no way of me using HDMI on my TV. It has a HDMI socket on it but there is a Hand shaken porblem with my PS3 and TV. I have to turn my PS3 off every time i want to play games. And as you may figure out it got a pain in the ass so now I use component. I wish Sony would fix this problem.

ocelot20

Established Member
Hold on it wont be using VGA on my TV it has a option to turn it to DVI or VGA so all i would have to do it get one of them adapters and then turn my TV from VGA to DVI then it shoul work shoudlnt it?

spencer_uk

Established Member
Anyone know what the output looks like on a widescreen monitor (at say 1680x1050)? I am planning on hooking mine up to my Samsung 226BW but have not done it yet. Don't want to always be playing it via the projector (although it is darn mighty fine)! Is it better to go 720 and let it upscale or 1080 and let the monitor downscale?

Thanks

dekoded

Established Member
Hold on it wont be using VGA on my TV it has a option to turn it to DVI or VGA so all i would have to do it get one of them adapters and then turn my TV from VGA to DVI then it shoul work shoudlnt it?

Whilst you can change your input connector from VGA to DVI, you may still have the HDCP issues and get a blank screen.

I used to use a VGA cable to my PJ from a HTPC and then use an adapter on the PJ end to 'convert' it to a DVI connector, but it seems you need to do the opposite?

As I posted in earlier though, you could just buy an 'HD FURY' adapter and then use a HDMI to DVI adapter to connect it to your PS3's HDMI socket as htis removes any HDCP handshaking problems.

http://www.consoleshop.com/product.php?productid=16848

for_mandalore

Established Member
This sounds like the problem I had when I bought my PS3. I own a Philips 32" and when I got a 360 I had to buy a VGA adaptor. This adaptor came with a DVI audio-in connector. When I bought my PS3 I needed to buy a HDMI to DVI adaptor which plugged into the same jack that the VGA adaptor did. I wasn't getting any sounds so I had to get my DVI audio-in and hook it up to the standard (composite?) cable.

This worked fine for me but means having to buy both a HDMI to DVI and a VGA adaptor. Hope this helps.:confused:

ocelot20

Established Member
Whilst you can change your input connector from VGA to DVI, you may still have the HDCP issues and get a blank screen.

I used to use a VGA cable to my PJ from a HTPC and then use an adapter on the PJ end to 'convert' it to a DVI connector, but it seems you need to do the opposite?

As I posted in earlier though, you could just buy an 'HD FURY' adapter and then use a HDMI to DVI adapter to connect it to your PS3's HDMI socket as htis removes any HDCP handshaking problems.

http://www.consoleshop.com/product.php?productid=16848

They cost £70.

spencer_uk

Established Member
Hmmm... I tried my PS3 on the PJ and it worked fine (superbly so) but when I tried to plug it into the Samsung 226BW using a Monster HDMI to DVI converter (http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2942) I only got a blank screen. It could have been the fact that the PS3 was previously outputting 1080i and the monitor only goes up to 1050? Anyone got any ideas?

Ta,
Spencer.

essex

Standard Member
This is what am trying to do someone said it will work as my PC input on my TV uses VGA and DVI.

Look here.
Hi ocelot - just sent you a PM on this issue to see if you had any ideas - do you actually have to switch off your ps3 - have you tried to hit av button once or twice and it goes back to av1 - then turn off the tv by the remote - then turn back on and switch back to hdmi - that works for me every time - but still a pain!

PS - i have the cable you noted in your post above - long story why ive got one - but owuld they help at all? sorry for my ignorance

ocelot20

Established Member
No i do not have to turn the PS3 off i just have to do what you do hit the AV button then turn TV off again then turn it back to HDMI.

Right anyhow ill see if i can explane this better now. Right I have got a HDMI to DVI lead here with me now. But the only problem I dont have a DVI conection on my TV. But when i put a game in my PS3 it will turn from HDMI to DVI. And i read up the PC input is the DVI connection but my DVI cable wont fit in it. But I can buy a VGA to DVI adapter so I can plug my HDMI to DVI cable into the back of the VGA adaptor and then VGA bit into my TV. And then change the PC input to DVI on my TV. So will I get a Picture then if so will it be a HDMI pictire.

ocelot20

Established Member
As this is pissing me off very bad now I have just found my receipt and am going to call them up the help desk tomorrow and ask for a refund or a differant TV. I have had it 11 months so Woolworths have to at least let me swop for another Tv.

dekoded

Established Member
As I 've said, I don't think this is a problem with physical connection type but the signals and handshake issues.

As far as I'm aware it is only possible to get a HDMI signal from the PS3's HDMI socket, all other signal types, composite, s-video, scart and component all use the multi out socket with the appropriate cable.

I don't think you have any other option at the moment, the HD Fury is the only way of using the PS3's HDMI output with a display that either A: doesn't have a HDMI input B: is not HD ready (HDCP compliant)

And yes, I know it's not cheap at £70, but unless you have another compatible display then I don't think you have anyy other option.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom