HDMI to DVI??

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Turk, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Turk

Turk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Does anyone know if you will be able to use a Playstation 3 with a DVI input monitor using a HDMI to DVI cable?

2. Starchild

Starchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont see why not.

you canget HDMI to DVI cables.

3. stockyvillage

stockyvillage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    yes just get a hdmi to dvi adaptor if you already have a hdmi cable

4. Oldgold

Oldgold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is there any picture quality difference with a HDMI to DVI connection as opposed to HDMI to HDMI?

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    No. The digital video signal is the same for both. HDMI just has audio whereas DVI is video only.

6. Larksp

Larksp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use dvi to hdmi and out put 1080i ans its well sweet on the trailers and images cant use hd dvd's yet as aint got nothing that can play them so stuck with trailers for now :) i use 5m cable off ebay was 20 and its perfect

use a dell xps laptop and then coax out for sound to amp or jack to phono if want tv:)

:( dont have 300 for hd player
    yet

"toshiba 32wlt66"

7. Sclodion

Sclodion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My concern would be HDCP encryption. Am unsure if the PS3 has HDCP enabled on its HDMI out. If it does then your DVI compliant monitor would have to support HDCP to view the PS3 output.

8. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    I would expect that you would need HDCP support on your DVI display (which does exist on some - but not many) to replay BluRay movies on your PS3.

It MAY be that you don't need HDCP support for gaming though.

9. spacecadet

spacecadet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    HDMI to DVI swith and/or tv with DVI input is not necessarliy the same as HDMI to tv HDMI input, even if you take the audiopart of it out of the equation. rthis depends on your tvs processing capability and if it can accept digital component colourspace iver HDMI.

DVI is a subset of HDMI, and only support 8 bit 4:4:4 RGB colourspace

Conecting a HDMI source to a DVI sink will force the source to output RGB.

The HDMI spec also support on top of this 10 bit Component colour space.
    This also happens to match the colourspace that DVD and blu-ray use.

The upshot is that (and this depends if you tv can accept component colour space on HDMI as I said) that a HDMI-HDMI link may well sport les colour conversions along the way leading to a possilby better picture - less chance of colour banding etc.

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    My Sony nS76 can do either component and RGB through HDMI to DVI on my PJ. I also got the same thing from a Panasonic S52. I currently have the sony on component.

11. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Err - DVD and HD-DVD/BluRay are 8 bit 4:2:0 YCrCb colourspace on-disc AIUI - though BluRay MAY optionally include 10 and 12 bit support, as well as 4:2:2 support, for suitably mastered discs (aimed at more professional applications of the format)

My understanding is that HDMI versions prior to 1.3 only support 4:4:4 RGB and YCrCb at 8 bit, but also optionally there is support for 10 or 12 bit 4:2:2 YCrCb (the bits you gain by reducing the chroma sampling rate can be re-assigned to greater bit depths) AIUI HDMI 1.3 now supports 4:4:4 YCrCb at 10 and 12 bit depths?

I think DVI only HAS to support 4:4:4 8 bit RGB to be compliant - but that doesn't mean YCrCb can't be used optionally ? My understanding is that the source will feed what the display asks for if it can - i.e. if you have a 4:4:4 8 bit RGB display it is likely to be OK - as RGB 4:4:4 8bit is a minimum spec for any display? Of course the issue is that most HD Video - apart from games - doesn't start as 4:4:4 or RGB. Most video is delivered as 4:2:0 YCrCb so needs to be chroma upsampled and matrixed to RGB - and converting YCrCb to RGB can be done wrong...

DVD is (mainly) ITU 601 and HD-DVD/BluRay is (mainly) ITU 709 in colourspace terms. This means the YCrCb->RGB matrix values are very different for the two systems (for ITU 601 Y=0.59G+0.30R+0.11B, whereas for ITU 709 Y=0.71G+0.22R+0.07B, a big difference, and very important to get right...)