HDMI to DVi

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by AML, Sep 12, 2004.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Can anyone recomend a good 1m HDMI to DVi digital cable? (maker and model)

So many DVD players support HDMI but my Plasma only has a DVi input! Also does this affect quality, picture wise? Is it better to use a pure DVi to DVi system or is HDMI to DVi just as good?

cheers :D

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I bought a cheap (BIN ~£18+p&p) HDMI->DVI-D cable here on eBay but it was 2m. Im not sure if you have much luck finding a 1m one. I wanted a cheap cable to demo potential screens with my HDMI equipped DVD player. As it worked just fine with the DVI-I displays I trialed it with im probably going to keep with it when my new DVI display arrives. I never witnessed any dropouts and I am not a great believer that a more expensive cable will make any difference - its not like vision will be affected by jitter since each frame is discreet which, apart from dropouts, is what affects the quality of digital audio.

When I was searching for a cable, I came across alot of mis-information:

HDMI/DVI cables are directional. They are not. And this was from a Arcam stockest who got the information direct from Arcam - not that my DVD player is Arcam, its just the only experience the stockest had of HDMI equipped DVD players.

You can't buy HDMI/DVI cables. You can, but the sellers really want to sell you an expensive HDMI/DVI adaptor and a very expensive HDMI/HDMI cable.

You need to spend > £100 on a decent cable. Why, because it has a purple outer sheath makes it look expensive?

You need a HDMI->DVI-I cable to connect with a DVI-I connector on the display. Well my HDMI->DVI-D cable works just fine thanks.

-Ian

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Well i know that there are a lot of scams out there, but I do beleive that a good cable will improve picture quality.

ie, my plasmas receiver is conected to the panel by a DVi cable. Untill now i was using the one that came with the TV.
    This cable was 2m or so, and was quite thin to be honest so once i found a decent 1m DVi cable that cost me 50 quid or so, I changed it and, well, the picture is much nicer than before.

Much sharper, clearer and the colors more vivid. This is proof for me that a decent cable will improve the picture quality. It seems that in my TVs case, the weak link was between the Panel itself and the receiver!

Im sure a 1m DVi-HDMI cable will eventualy come out since in DVi's case, the shorter the better. I heard that if a DVi cable is too long u get signal degredation!

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
  6. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    These cables are not directional and to the best of my knowledge no one at Arcam would have knowingly suggested this. If you know different please send me a PM so we may do some re-education! There are however two sorts of DVI/HDMI adaptor, depending on which socket is male or female, so this may just have caused some confusion. These adaptors are not particularly expensive, nor are most HDMI cables. Ther is a standard for these - if you look on www.hdmi.org you can IIRC see which vendors have passed the tests.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Thanx guys. I did find this rather tasty cable just out!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=325079&is=REG

And this one too!

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI-hdmi_cables.html

Even tighter!

I do have one other question, Ive noticed that there are 2 different type of DVi cable heads.

The one you see in these links that have the pins sepparated into 2 rows, and another type that has all the pins together in a single row. Here:

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=DVIDL-1

Can you tell me the difference? Which is better?

My Plasma and reciever use the above type (single row) but PCs seem to use the 2 row type. Or does it not matter? And is there a difference for AV purposes?

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,288
    AML

I can now supply Gefen DVI copper cables in 1m and shorter lengths - see http://www.gefen.com/kvm/cables/dvi.jsp

Note the max optimum resolution for these cables is 1280x1024.

Oddly enough if you want better the HDTV DVI Extreme fibre optic are very good - though the shortest length is 10m; running test from DVE and AVIA you can 'see' on screen where the more expensive cable is handling the top end of the signal better than the lower cost cables (even much shorter cables).

Best regards

Joe

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    AML

The cable with all 24 pins is the DVI dual link for use with very high resolution > (1600 x 1200) displays where higher bandwidth is required.

Joe

The link you gave was DVI-DVI cables. The HDMI-DVI cables are at http://www.gefen.com/kvm/cables/hdmi.jsp and resolution limititations are not mentioned for the HDMI-DVI versions. Presumably this is because the HDMI standard defines minimum resolution and transmission lengths for source, cable and sink and certified cables nomatter what cost must pass the standard tests - unlike DVI which is a bit hit and mis once you get over the minimum DVI standard.

John

I have PM'd you with details. BTW. I call £60 for a HDMI/DVI converter plus £60-£200 for a cable as some (more than one) stockists were trying to sell me as 'expensive'

-Ian

10. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Thanks again guys. Ill stick with 24 pin Dual DVI-D cables since thats whats on my plasmas receiver.

Once I get my new DVD player ill get one of these cables.

One last question.

The Dual 24pin DVi-D handles a max of 1600X1200 yes?

So far I have only seen Single DVi-D to HDMI cables.
    Will they make Dual DVi-D to HDMI cables? or is it not necesary? What about resolution?

Newer DVD players that support DVI or HDMI use higher resolutions yes? But how high, and what cable is best for them?

What about compatability?

Sorry for all the Q's but it just get harder and harder doesnt it!

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,288
    Hello Ian

The Gefen HDMI cables are good for up to and including 1080i.

As are out BetterCables HDMI at up to 10m - http://www.bettercables.com/dvicables.html

As you say once you introduce DVI with or without HDCP and long cable runs your into a whole new ball game.

Best regards

Joe

PS I'd say the prices you were quoted were high too :)

PPS At least John's dealers are not on the phone asking for S-Video to HDMI cables - which I've had recently!!!

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,288
    AML

Most consumer kit will currently top out at 720P and 1080i - with the odd unit offering 1080P.

If you were to introduce a Video Processor you may be looking at 1024P (and above) - which you'll also see once we start to deliver HD capable DVD players (Blu-ray DVD or HD DVD).

Best regards

Joe

13. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Joe

What your saying is that until Blu-Ray and HD-DVD arrive, whats available is good enough? (cable wise)

But after these new players arrive we will need 24pin Dual DVi-D?
    Or will Single DVi-D be enough?