Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HDMI to DVI

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by loadsofleads, May 28, 2004.

1. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know if this would work from a Pioneer 868 to a Hitachi 5200 :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    Taffyboyo

You need to ensure the DVI input on your Hitachi is HDCP complaint - this is the Digital Content Copy Protection scheme employed on HDMI outputs.

If your Hitachi DVI Input is HDCP complaint then pretty much any HDMI to DVI cable will do the trick - the Supra cables are not due into the UK until mid June so I cat tell you if they are any better than lower cost Moelx cables or not (they certainly 'look' sexier').

Best regards

Joe

3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi joe, the Hitachi website says the DVi input is HDCP compliant. Would this give a better picture than component you think :confused:

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    Taffyboyo

The theory says the all Digital HDMI to DVI (with HDCP) signal path should be better - the reality is that its down to how well (or not) the manufacturers of your DVD player and Plasma Display have Implemented the HDMI, DVI and YUV (Component) video circuits.

A 2m Molex (or other low cost) HDMI to DVI-D cable is going to cost you less than £25.00 - its got to be worth trying at that price.

Best regards

Joe

5. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    come on joe, im willing to humour this.
    explain how currently "The theory says the all Digital HDMI to DVI (with HDCP) signal path should be better".
    i would really like to hear this.

6. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YS - YS

"The theory says the all Digital HDMI to DVI (with HDCP) signal path should be better".
    I took it that Joe meant better than Component? In which case isn't HDMI/DVI better because remains within the digital domain and not subject to signal degredation like analogue signals!!! I could be wrong ?

7. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have covered parts of this in a previous post, im now asking joe to tell me how.
    people are very quick to make the assumption just because the word "digital" is in the sentance it just has to be better.

8. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269

Well being a sceptic at first as well, i see what your saying.
    But the reality is the pic quality IS better in my setup.

the diff HDMI has made to the pic is quite obvious.
    Less pic noise, better defined image detail etc.
    It is an advance over component, but not as huge as one would like maybe, but better for sure.

9. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gandley, dont forget to add IMO to that.

10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    He he, i speakus the truthus`us

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    Hello Ys-Ys

Which part of 'the theory says' are you not happy with :)

The Theory says if you take the Digital Stream from the MPEG decoder in a suitably equipped DVD player or Set-Top Box and send the Digital signal directly to your Display and process the signal in the Digital domain within the screen you are one step ahead of converting the Digital stream in the DVD to Analogue and then re converting it back from Analogue to Digital within your Display (as per YUV, RGB, S-Video or Composite).

Your beloved Fujitsu even tells you so on the tin of the latest Home Theatre models - 'Picture Perfect - the P42VHA30WS boasts a DVI-D digital input with HDCP, which provides a direct digital connection to the latest hi-end video devices - such as satellite system or an HDTV set-top box - to provide crystal clear high definition digital images.'

And from HDMI.org - 'HDMI: The Catalyst for the DTV Revolution. Backed by some of the industry's biggest names, High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) will enable true high definition audio/video content for consumers. Content providers, system operators and consumer electronics manufacturers are rallying behind a standard that will finally deliver on DTV's long-awaited promises.'

As you have possibly found out the Theory does not always hold true and every implementation of HDMI or DVI-D (with HDCP) cannot be assumed to have been created equal and as I said the best option is to buy a cable - plug it in and see if you prefer all Digital via HDMI/DVI (HDCP) or Analogue RGB or YUV.

Best regards

Joe

PS IMO - IMO is a pain in the bum - of course its all opinion but then without opinions we wouldn't have a Forum :)

12. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds ok....IMO :Grin:

13. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    joe, so please tell us using the HDMI signal what are its limitations to res and number of colours. and then please explain the same on an anologue signal (rgb4/5, ycrcb).

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    Ys-Ys

If you want white papers go look on the web and if you've already read them stop pulling my chain!

I can tell you that a crap Analogue or Digital implementation looks Crap and a decent Analogue or Digital implementation looks fantastic.

If you go back to the top of this thread taffyboyo asked how to hook his DVD to his Plasma on a Digital connection - not what bit depth, pixel shape, noise filter, standards converter etc will work best for him.

No matter if you like it or not the hardware manufacturers are going Digital as the content providers are insisting that copy protection is inherent on future video signals.

taffyboyo has a DVD player that looks better via HDMI than YUV (its been designed that way) - so your 'theoretical' case for Analogue being better than Digital falls apart in this instance; no matter how many pixels and what colour space is being used or converted to or from.

I don't assume anything - I plug kit in and see how it looks, sound, works in a particular system. If Analogue RGB works best for you stick with it :)

Best regards

Joe

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
  16. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :offtopic: Thanks for your, errrrr, opinions guys :rolleyes:
    I have bought the HDMI-DVI-D cable on pre-order, I also have a top of the range component cable so I will report back when I have thoroughly tested both.

:cool:

17. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, i seen the 504 434 42hhs30 all running in a digital (868 & A11) and it dont compare to the A11 in component.

"IMO"

18. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    having owned the A11 for quite some time and knowing it takes a fair bit more effort to get its DVI setup. i still maintain that via a PJ the dvi out gives a much better pic but it does add some unwanted judder, but pic is stunning. better than component but as said the judder although very small can be noticed on pans.

19. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    YS-YS you didn't include IMO! :oops:

:devil: :p :devil:

I too thought HDMI/DVI was very over hyped, after trying a Pioneer 868i via HDMI/DVI to my Marantz S3 DLP.
    I was actually upset that Component "seemed" to give a better image.(i had just spent a small fortune on HDMI/DVI cables and switcher)

However, after spending some time with it, i now feel that HDMI/DVI is superior at least with my system.
    Proper setup(as always) is essential.

I've no doubt you will question my findings so:-

Saturation, is cleaner/tigher.
    Meaning no colour bleed, and chroma delay etc.

Detail levels are higher.
    Mainly due to no A/D loses and lack of picture noise.

Unlike Gandley, i've found panning to be smoother via HDMI/DVI.

There is also no cable loss involved.

Some people (my self included) have found at first Component can seem better than HDMI/DVI.
    But at least in my case, this was down to the Component inputs picture "enhancement" circuits.(Faroudja DCDi)
    This either bumps up saturation or adds edge enhancements, or sharpness etc.
    HDMI/DVI normally serves up un-enhanced images, that at first can seem less exciting/detailed.
    But like any artificial process, enhancement circuits are masking real detail.

Like most have said above, analogue AND digital can me messed up. But when HDMI/DVI is done right, it has the "potential" to give the best images.
    IMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smashin:

20. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269

Nah crossed wires there m8, the A11 adds a bit off judder from DVI as it does not pass 50hz(well it didnt when i had it) with pal disc. with ntsc all is smooth as a babys bum

with HDMI from the 868i the pic is always very very fluid no matter what region disc used

21. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Taffyboyo- considering ordering the molex cable for my pd5200.

Would like to know what the PQ is like- assuming you've recieved the cables!
    Thanks,

22. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Scooobs, no haven't received them yet. At the moment I've got IXOS component cables running from my Pioneer 868 to my 5200 and give a very good picture. I'll report back after I've received the cables and had a good comparison using both methods. :cool: