1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI to DVI - where to source

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by MrDigit, Aug 6, 2004.

1. MrDigit

MrDigit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know where I can source a HDMI to DVI (male to male) cable in the Kingston, Surrey area? Tried Sevenoakes and Weybridge Audio.

I think I need DVI-I - is this the one with 2 blocks of 9 small diagonal pins and a single horizontal large pin?

I need the connector for two reasons:

1. To use when I demo for a new screen. DVI equipped LCD displays, Philips, Sharp, etc normally use DVI-I connectors. Is this right?

2. I have an old DVI PC panel (SGI 1600SW + Multilink) that will take VESA modes at 60 Hz for 640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768 and 1280 x 1024. It definately does not have HDCP. My DVD player will take external analogue sources and scale and output over HDMI. It is my understanding that external sources, non cp dvD's, and the menu will not be HDCP and I am not worried about playing DVD's that are CP as its only a trial. Bu the 60Hz rate worried me. I can configure my DVD player to be NTSC. Is this likely to get around the issue?

MrD

2. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Most DVI equipped display screens that you mention use DVI-D not DVI-I.

DVI-I has 3 rows of 8 pins each; these 24 pins are the only pins required to transmit the three digital channels and one clock signal. The crosshair arrangement on the right is actually a total of 5 pins that can transmit an analog video signal.

This is where the specification divides itself in two; the DVI-D connector features only the 24-pins necessary for purely digital operation while a DVI-I connector features both the 24 digital pins and the 5 analog pins.

The arrangement you describe is definitely DVI-D, as you can see from the picture below, which is a DVI-I connector.

[​IMG]

We sell a range of DVI-D to DVI-D cables, and if you are using the cable for demo purposes, I suspect you'll be looking for something pretty decent, Wireworld's Starlight or Ultraviolet would be the ones to go for in my opinion.

Hope this helps!

3. MrDigit

MrDigit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the assistance.

I just checked the spec on the sets on my shortlist and they all specify DVD-I.

I think also that my connector is DVD-I since the connector on the display matches your picture and the lead that I was looking at as a sample now appears not to use all the pins. I had another lead DFP to DVI and that has all pins in place.

Where are you based as I think I need to see the lead before I buy.

4. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    We are based near Watford, Herts. However all the cables we stock/sell are DVI-D to DVI-D not DVI-I!

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Mr Digit

I think your going in circles!

DVD player - if your player is outputting via HDMI then you'll not be needing a DVI-I connector on the other end as there is no analogue signal on the HDMI Out.

DVD player - its unlikely that your player (with on board scaler - I'm guessing Meridian) will output anything other than 480i, 480P, 576i, 576P, 720P and 1080i.

DVD with HDMI to LCD with DVI-I Input - are you sure the screens on your short list work with Video signals; it sounds like you have a short list of LCD Computer monitors.

DVD with HDMI to VESA PC Monitor - I think you'll be very lucky if you get this to work; will the SGI Input work with a DVI-D PC signal.

Filberts boutique cables - Filbert has got to be having a laugh :) a £200 1m DVI-D cable on the end of an old VESA monitor!!!

I'd stick with Molex or similar for now - HDMI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI-D (bi-directional) then once you achieve a working system you can test out a more upmarket cable and 'see' if it makes a difference; I find some of our higher cost Digital cables can make a difference over longer lengths but hard to 'see' much benefit at 2m.

Best regards

Joe