hdmi to dvi question

W

wuldiba

Hello there people, Wondering if someone could help me.
i have recently bought a playstation 3 and wish to connect it to my philips 32" lcd tv, so i can enjoy the blue ray movies. This has a dvi-i connection on it and obviously the p3 has a hdmi connection. I understand that i will have to buy a hdmi to dvi cable. However do i buy a hdmi to dvi-i cable or a hdmi to dvi-d cable. ive looked at my t.v specs and it says this.......The DVI input supports HDCP copy protection that allows viewing of copy protected programs from Digital Settop boxes, DVD players and HD recorders. DVI-I is future proof as it can be be connected to all HDMI devices (a converter cable is required). The DVI-I input also supports analogue PC-VGA signals

I beleive you will be fine with an HDMI to either DVI-D or DVI-I cable. I think the types go as follows -

DVI-A = Analog connection
DVI-D = Digital connection
DVI-I = Carries both Analog & Digital

you can't get hdmi->dvi-a cables anyway as it would require a DAC to convert the digital signal into an analog one, which is silly :D

another option is an HDMI-DVI adapter which will let you plug a standard HDMI cable into a DVI socket thru a converter. just depends how cheap you can get an HDMI cable + adapter vs HDMI->DVI cable

so the dvi sockets being a dvi-i or dvi-d are the same?

I think so, although the HDMI to DVI-I cable may have a few more pins wired.
I use an HDMI to DVI-D cable to connect my HTPC up to my LCD.
I would assume that this is also fine for PS3 to LCD.

Unless the cables have diodes on every piece of wire the cables should be bi-directional ¬_¬

I'm actually going to need to get a hdmi ---> dvi cable soon too ;D

Hi wuldiba,

I have a Philips LCD TV with DVI adapter and am using a HDMI to DVI-D cable. You will have to use the optical out on the PS3 (or the Multi-AV audio cable I believe) to get sound.

Just out of interest, what model of Philips TV do you have?
Z.

hi zoidy.........the model number is 32PF5520D/10.......................i have my own surround sound so i will be hooking up sound through optical cable. i just worried about getting a dvi-d cable and it not fitting in to my dvi-i socket on my t.v

hi zoidy.........the model number is 32PF5520D/10.......................i have my own surround sound so i will be hooking up sound through optical cable. i just worried about getting a dvi-d cable and it not fitting in to my dvi-i socket on my t.v

You should be fine using any half decent HDMI to DVI cable. Got mine for £10 from Scan.

You should be fine using any half decent HDMI to DVI cable. Got mine for £10 from Scan.

that should read "You will be fine using any HDMI to DVI cable" :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom