HDMI to DVI Monitor connection

gooner1959

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Not sure I have posted in the right place apologies if I have

I have a Samsung SyncMaster BX2335 Monitor which has a DVI in connection.

It came with VGA to DVI cable which has always given great monitor picture

My current PC has a HDMI port. Would I really notice any difference if I bought a HDMI to DVI cable and used that . If it would and I got one would it just be as simple as unplug one cable and connect the new one ?

Regards

Craig

A DVI signal would look slightly different to the current VGA signal you're using, the conversion to and from analogue does change the picture a little. Mostly in terms of the softness of the picture rather than colours or anything.

If you're at all curious then I'd say go for it for the sake of the £3 a DVI cable costs.

HDMI and DVI are the same video signal format and I'm guessing your current cable is plugged into a DVI socket on the computer so I'd go for a DVI to DVI cable over an HDMI to DVI one.

Hi

Thanks for the response

My current cable is VGA to DVI with the DVI in the monitor and the VGA in the PC

Does this make any difference as I dont hjave a DVI port on my PC

Does this make any difference as I dont hjave a DVI port on my PC

It's unusual to see that setup on the monitor end, most of seperate DVI and VGA ports while yours has a combined DVI-I one.

It doesn't make any difference though, except a DVI-DVI cable isn't an option and you're looking at an HDMI-DVI cable.

Take a look at the pinouts for DVI on this page...

Digital Visual Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See the 4 pins on the right, surrounding the cross?
Those are the VGA pins in a DVI port.

VGA is an analog signal.

All the other pins are for digital signals , and for video, are pin for pin compatible with HDMI.

So there is a difference, if you get a HDMI to DVI cable, you are going all digital, and given that most effort these days is in making sure the picture is at its best over HDMI , there may well be a considerable step up in quality by going digital.

Thanks for yor help guys

I will invest in the cable and see what the results are

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom