HDMI to DVI Lead (can it work both ways? and cheap ones OK?

romerojpg

Want to connect my PC up to a Sony 40 inch LCD, via DVI from my PC (it has no HDMI sadly).

I may as well ask a simple question :)

I take it if the cable is listed as HDMI to DVI Lead, that doesnt mean it only sends signal from HDMI to DVI only, as I want the DVI (from PC) to the HDMI (On LCD).

and I seem to see people think Cheaper HDMI cables are still as good as expensive ones. But is the the same for DVI- HDMI?

Hope you can help :D as I want that tasty 1080 feeling and thoght better ask first :thumbsup:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello romerojpg

Digital video cables terminated with one DVI and one HDMI connector will work for digital Video in both directions - your PC won't be outputting sound on DVI so you'll need to work out another route to get the PC audio into the TV and mate the audio with the video onboard the TV (assuming you require the PC audio).

You also have to recognise that the HDMI Input on your 'TV' is set to accept a limited range of Video format signals - 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p; this means you must set the PC to Output one of those 'accepted' signal formats.

Look in the TV User Manual to find the list of accepted signals on the HDMI input - if your Graphics Card doesn't includes Video resolutions in its options menu you may need to use something like PowerStrip to create custom output settings (see http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm).

If you do need to combine the Digital Video Output (on DVI) from your PC with its Digital Audio Output to get both Sound and Vision into your HDMI socket you'll requires something along the lines of the Gefen EXT-DVIAUD-2-HDMI (see http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3570).

There are other devices that can combine DVI + Stereo audio into HDMI - though its probably more cost effective to consider an HDMI equipped Graphics Card.

Joe

romerojpg

Thats very helpfull indeed, many thanks :thumbsup:

You brought up one very important thing, sound I totally forgot no sound was carried thru that DVI as its been so long since I last messed about with speakers for my PC. Good job you responded :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom