HDMI to DVI help please!

M

marcusb

Hi there folks,

I have a LG RZ-32LG55 tv which i thought was fully HD. I got a PS3 in the last couple of weeks and i decided to pick up a HDMI cable to improve the picture quality.

I got a HDMI to HDMI official PS3 cable without first checking the inputs on my tv. :oops:

The RZ-32LG55 doesn't have a HDMI input, only a DVI input.

So back to the shop i went to look for a simple HDMI to DVI adapter. As far as i can see there looks to be around half a dozen different HDMI to DVI adapters though! DVI-I, DVI-D, male adapters and female adapters! :suicide:

Deos anyone have any knowledge about this particular LG tv when it comes to PS3 cables, and know what adapter i should be looking for??

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks for listening / reading.

Hi m8, and welcome to the forums!

Firstly, DVI-D means it carries only digital signals. DVI-I can carry both digital and analogue signals. Because HDMI is a purely digital connection, both DVI-D and DVI-I adapters will work.

The DVI input on your TV is 'female' (its the 'hole' :smashin:), so you'll need a Male DVI input. So you'll need a female HDMI - male DVI adapter, either DVI-D or DVI-I - whichever's cheapest!

Hope this helps

Jez

Crap.

Further help needed. :rolleyes:

I got myself an adaptor (HDMI-F to DVI-D M) but now nothing is coming up on the screen when i turn on the PS3.

What am i doing wrong?? :(

I took a look at the inputs on the menu and they are;

TV
AV-1
AV-2
S-Video
Component
PC

I couldn't find a HDMI setting? I tried all of those options in turn.

If this makes any difference at all, i removed the old scart lead from the PS3 before i plugged in the HDMI cable.

Power off the PS3 and then press and HOLD the power on button for 10 seconds or so... until it beeps for a second time, it should then reset the video out and detect how you're connected.

HTH

If your tv doesn't have a VGA input then I would think the 'PC' input would mean the DVI socket.

Ok, thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

Do i always have to go into menu and select PC as input, or should pressing a button like the "AV" button get there quicker?

Apologies if that is a ridiculous question to be asking...

I don't think you should need to do this normally when you connect a HDMI display as the PS3 auto-detects it and asks if you want to use it, however as you're using a HDMI to DVI adapter maybe the PS3 can't detect the display properly so it's worth a try!

I use a HDFury HDCP stripper to connect my PS3 to a non-HDCP compatible display (the HDFury has a DVI input and a VGA output) and even with no display connected to the HDFury the PS3 still thinks there is a HDMI display connected.

remember you have to switch to hdmi in the ps3 settings first, also bear in mind dvi doesnt carry sound.

Ok, thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

Do i always have to go into menu and select PC as input, or should pressing a button like the "AV" button get there quicker?

Apologies if that is a ridiculous question to be asking...

Well assuming your TV doesn't auto-switch to the DVI input when you switch on your PS3 then depending on your TV's remote/menu it may be quicker to cycle through the inputs until you get to 'PC' or maybe your remote has a dedicated PC input button?

Just out of interest, do you know what the native resolution of your TV is? you might have to experiment with output settings from your PS3 to get the best picture.

Wow :eek:

The picture quality is amazing!! Thanks a million for the help!

Final question, i promise. :rolleyes:

Ahem, how do i get sound?

bear in mind dvi doesnt carry sound.

That's a good point!

What are you doing for sound? optical output to an AV-amp would be the best solution.

If you don't have dedicated AV speakers then you may have to run rca/phono leads from the multi-out of your PS3 to the red and white audio inputs on your TV if it has any.

Well assuming your TV doesn't auto-switch to the DVI input when you switch on your PS3 then depending on your TV's remote/menu it may be quicker to cycle through the inputs until you get to 'PC' or maybe your remote has a dedicated PC input button?

Just out of interest, do you know what the native resolution of your TV is? you might have to experiment with output settings from your PS3 to get the best picture.

native resolution is 1080i

Cheers for that, i'll take a look at the display settings now.

That's a good point!

What are you doing for sound? optical output to an AV-amp would be the best solution.

If you don't have dedicated AV speakers then you may have to run rca/phono leads from the multi-out of your PS3 to the red and white audio inputs on your TV if it has any.

If i'm reading that right, can i use the old scart lead that i was using with the PS3 and just plug in those cables to an audio input on the TV?

That good to hear!, if you've been using the scart option before then you were missing out on all that HD-goodness!

Digital displays never really look any good unless they have a digital input.

Connect the av lead that you got with the ps3 into the ps3 then next to the DVI connector on your tv there are two phono sockets connect the av cable sound phono connectors into them.
Then in the ps3 menu set it to av sound output.

Connect the av lead that you got with the ps3 into the ps3 then next to the DVI connector on your tv there are two phono sockets connect the av cable sound phono connectors into them.
Then in the ps3 menu set it to av sound output.

Yep, i have a lead that came with the PS3 that has three wires at the end; Red, White and Yellow.

I plugged that into the PS3 and then plugged the red and white wires into the TV. (Those audio inputs weren't beside the DVI input, more on the side of the TV, don't know if that matters.)

I then went into the audio settings in the menu and selected the "AV sound" option for sound.

Still no sound though. :confused:

Yeah, you need to use the HDMI output for your video signal and the AV-multi out socket for your audio.

Obviously this means you'll only be getting stereo sound in games etc and I don't know how good the built-in speakers are on your TV, but generally they are pretty poor so maybe an AV amp and surround speakers should be next on your wish list:D!

In the past when I first started getting interested in AV equipment I had a cheap set of yamaha surround speakers with a little decoder and amplifier, this was still a massive improvement over my old (crt) TV stereo speakers.

Have fun!

Yep, i have a lead that came with the PS3 that has three wires at the end; Red, White and Yellow.

I plugged that into the PS3 and then plugged the red and white wires into the TV. (Those audio inputs weren't beside the DVI input, more on the side of the TV, don't know if that matters.)

I then went into the audio settings in the menu and selected the "AV sound" option for sound.

Still no sound though. :confused:

Hmm, I wonder if those audio inputs on your TV only work when you use the composite (yellow socket) video input? that could be a problem? have you tried selecting the composite or other inputs on the tv to see if you can hear the ps3 audio?

Yeah, you need to use the HDMI output for your video signal and the AV-multi out socket for your audio.

Obviously this means you'll only be getting stereo sound in games etc and I don't know how good the built-in speakers are on your TV, but generally they are pretty poor so maybe an AV amp and surround speakers should be next on your wish list:D!

In the past when I first started getting interested in AV equipment I had a cheap set of yamaha surround speakers with a little decoder and amplifier, this was still a massive improvement over my old (crt) TV stereo speakers.

Have fun!

I think the AV amp and speakers are definitely next on the ol wish list.

Cheers for all the help in this thread.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom