HDMI to Component

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by demondaz, May 2, 2007.

1. demondaz

demondaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for an amp (was considering the Denon 2307 or Pioneer 2016). The denon manual shows that HDMI in cannot be output on anything else.
    Obviously protected HDMI could not be output to component, but do any amps repeat/output an HDMI source to Component? I was looking in the £700 or under bracket.

2. sk8

sk8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    pretty sure none do

3. a5h

a5h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  4. demondaz

demondaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like it does not convert the HDMI input, as it does not list it as an input source in the table on the page mentioned. If you could try it though when the amp turns up...

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,515
    Hello demondaz

If the HDMI equipped Source is applying HDCP to the copy protected content you want to view then no AV Receiver will internally 'convert' the Input signal to an Analogue non encrypted signal to be Output on 'Component' Video.

You may find an AV Receiver that will convent non HDCP encrypted content from Digital (HDMI) to Analogue (Component) - though it would have limited usefulness for most folk.

If you don't have a non encrypted Analogue Output on your Source then there are 'Black Box' solutions that will remove HDCP and convert between Digital and Analogue.

Joe

6. demondaz

demondaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should have said why I need it...
    I want to replace my old amp with no HDMI.
    I need to upscale component to HDMI (as well as take SKY HD in through HDMI.

I then want to drive a TV and a projector. I wasn't too worried about Protected stuff on the TV but it may be useful.

Soooo... Are there any amps about that will output to 2 HDMI displays?

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,515
    Hello demondaz

Analogue to Digital is 'Cross Conversion' - not all AV Receivers apply 'up-conversion' at the same time.

You ought to work out do you really want up-conversion anyway - it may not be the best option for your intended Display devices.

Keep in mind SKY HD will simultaneously feed an HDCP encrypted Digital HD signal (HDMI) alongside a non encrypted Analogue HD signal (3RCA).

Very few AV Receivers currently have multiple HDMI Outputs - those that do tend to be 'flagship' products - with prices to match.

You can add an HDMI DA (Distribution Amp - 1x2, 1x4, 1x8 etc) to the Output of most AV Receivers - or consider something along the lines of the Octava HDS32-UK 'Cross Switch'; this can switch up to Three HDMI signals between Two Displays (or deliver two different Sources to the Displays simultaneously).

One of the Sources going into the HDS32-UK can be the Output from an HDMI equipped AV Receiver - see http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI switch 3x2 port.html

Joe

8. demondaz

demondaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe, I think I will go down the route of HDMI and component output from Sky to the Amp, and then if needed later, buy one of the 3x2 boxes.

AS far as sound quality goes, I will probably go for the Denon as the Pioneers don't normally reproduce stereo so well.