HDMI to Component conversion options?

S

SA07UK

Hi guys

It's my first post on here and I'd appreciate some advice please:

I have a HD Ready plasma (Hitachi 42pd4200H) which only has Component Input and I want to connect a HD camcorder (Sony HDR-HC3e) with HDMI output to it to watch recordings in HD. Can you advise on what I need to attach an HDMI output to a Component input plasma?

Thanks in advance.

ianh64

Novice Member
Just be aware that units of this type are, last time I checked, against the rules of the HDCP licensing agreement. It is possible that in the future if the authorities feel the need, they units can have their device key revoked and rendered useless. This can be done simply by watching a programme that originated in digital form - ie from DVD, Sky, Freeview etc.

I have not heard of any instances where this has occurred, but thought that I should mention that it is not a risk free option.

S

SA07UK

ianh64 said:
Just be aware that units of this type are, last time I checked, against the rules of the HDCP licensing agreement. It is possible that in the future if the authorities feel the need, they units can have their device key revoked and rendered useless. This can be done simply by watching a programme that originated in digital form - ie from DVD, Sky, Freeview etc.

I have not heard of any instances where this has occurred, but thought that I should mention that it is not a risk free option.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm kind of peeved that Hitachi labelled the 42PD4200H "HD-Ready". It's hardly very ready given the amount of extra kit I have to buy and the HDCP issues!:mad:

MarkSS

Novice Member
My understanding was that a set can't be classified as HD Ready unless it has either HDMI or DVI with HDCP support.

buffalo2102

Novice Member
MarkSS said:
My understanding was that a set can't be classified as HD Ready unless it has either HDMI or DVI with HDCP support.
That's correct. I'm pretty sure that the 42p4200 plasma only has a 852x480 resolution as well, so is not HD Ready. Unless the 42p4200"H" is a different model entirely?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello SA07UK

Doesn't this Camcorder have Analogue 'Component' Out via 3RCA as well as Digital 'Component' Out via HDMI?

Trying to get a proper tech spec on-line is never easy with Sony but at least one site seems to say it has Analogue HD Out.

Best regards

Joe

S

SA07UK

Joe Fernand said:
Hello SA07UK

Doesn't this Camcorder have Analogue 'Component' Out via 3RCA as well as Digital 'Component' Out via HDMI?

Trying to get a proper tech spec on-line is never easy with Sony but at least one site seems to say it has Analogue HD Out.

Best regards

Joe

Joe, you're right. I just ordered a converter and HDMI lead from Lektropacks for a total of £200 though!

http://www.lektropacks.com/view_item.php?product=1000534&&category=5

My question is: will I get a better HD picture from using the HDMI into the converter and output by component leads into the TV than just using components directly from the camcorder to the TV? I need to know so I can return the converter if there's no advantage!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello SA07UK

HDMI is basically a Digital 'Component' Video signal.

I cant see any advantage in converting the Digital signal your camera video circuitry is producing externally (using the HDMI to VGA converter) vs. letting the camera do the conversion internally and using its 3RCA Output sockets.

Joe

S

SA07UK

Thanks very much Joe. In that case, I may send the box back. The only advantage I can think for it would for when I get Sky HD.

S

SA07UK

Joe

Can you have a look at Lektropaks reply to me after I gave your advice as the reason for return?

"Yes you can run component cables from your camera to your screen - this may not be HD though.

Analogue High Definition can only be achieved if your camera component output is progressive scan, and you component inputs are YpbPr too - or your VGA input can handle the Progressive YUV signal. "

Does that sound right? I'm thoroughly confused now!:confused:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello SA07UK

They were doing quite well in the first part of the reply - after that they forgot to mention that no matter what you installed (inc the VisionFC4) you would be stuffed if your TV doesn't have an HD compatible YPbPr or RGBHV Input!!!

Without the Sony User Manual to hand were working in the dark - though I'd be very surprised if your HD Camcorder will only output an HD resolution signal via HDMI when there is a set of YPbPr RCA Output sockets that are more than capable of handling an HD signal.

If the RGBHV and or YPbPr Inputs on your TV don't work with any HD resolution signals your wasting your time and money whatever you do if your aim is to see the HD recordings your camcorder is making.

From the Sony User Manual you need to find out what Signal formats you can Output from the Analogue YPbPr Outputs.

From the Hitachi User Manual you need to work out what signal formats you can Input on its YPbPr Inputs.

Assuming there is signal format compatibility for Standard, Extended and High Definition signal formats all you then require is a suitable 3RCA to 3RCA cable.

Best regards

Joe

Dutch

SA07UK said:
The only advantage I can think for it would for when I get Sky HD.
The current Sky HD box has a perfectly fine HD component output. Second generation boxes are rumoured not to have one.

Steve

Trending threads

Top Bottom