hdmi to component cable help please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by nobie1, Feb 6, 2009.

1. nobie1

nobie1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:hi i bought a cheep cable off ebay which was hdmi to component from china, only to find it would not work it could be that the cable was poorly made. I tested it some of the ends was not connected at each end as the hdmi end came off anyway so i could stick electrick tester on the wires
    can any one help me as i want to run my laptop with a hdmi port onto my projector an tv which have component on them ypbpr i dont want to spend load of cash on doing this tho as there is stuff out there but its big bucks:hiya:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
  2. PuzZah

PuzZah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only way to make that cable work is if you can force the HDMI port on your laptop to output an analogue signal.

HDMI is digital and Component is analogue. Unfortunately these signals can't be converted in the wire and are incompatible. You'll have to buy a converter which start at about £60 unfortunately.

3. nobie1

nobie1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know which converter an were i can get a cheep one that is input hdmi to output component an thanks for ur help every one:thumbsup:

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    Hello nobie1

What other Input ports are on the Projector?

Joe

5. nobie1

nobie1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi joe it has a vga but i know i can get a better picture as i have a xbox 360 an have it hooked up by ypbpr component port on my projector
    all i really want to do is play my pc games with my projector with a good pic like my xbox does any one else have some links to the stuff i need an on the cheep side of things as i know if u spend 200 you can convert it but im shaw there is some stuff out there for cheeper which does the same thing:lease:

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    Hello nobie1

How you have your Xbox connected is irrelevant - if you have a VGA Out on the PC and a VGA In on the Projector that is the best place to start.

Converting VGA (RGBHV) to YPbPr is a lossy conversion - especially so if you use a cheap converter.

I've yet to come across very many low cost converters that offer the same performance of a better built unit - they may do a conversion but often the image they produce is not worth using.

Joe

7. nobie1

nobie1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I am telling you about the way my xbox is connected as the picture is fare better than when i connect up my laptop through vga so im asking anyone for guidance on what to do to conect my hdmi port up to a componet port on the projector, what to buy and where

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    Hello nobie1

What's with the Red shouty font - were all here to try and help guide you!

If your PC looks poor when connected via VGA then most likely you have a settings problem - what resolution is your PJ, what signals does it support via its VGA Input and what signal where you outputting from the PC?

Converting the Digital (HDMI) Output of your Laptop to work with the YUV Input on your Projector is simple enough - we supply the Vision FC4 at 155.00 GBP (Media Factory - Vision HDMI to Component converter).

Though its not guaranteed to deliver an improvement in image quality vs. getting your VGA connection settings sorted properly.

Joe

9. nobie1

nobie1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

ha ha i just wanted it to stand out thanks for ur help i've messed around with all the setting on both pj/lap till i was blue in the face anyway i have bought one of those converters from ebay for £76 i'll post about the quality when i get it

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    Are you going to Jump if the converter doesn't work? :D

Joe

11. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    I agree with joe it sounds like its more like a settings problem, very much doubt that convertor will solve your quality problems thru VGA from laptop.

A convertor isn't going to add quality.