hdmi to coaxial/optical

rccarguy2

I have a couple of hdmi only devices, and I need coaxial or optical outputs.

Are there any switches that have HDMI inputs, and can send pcm/DD/DTS to a coaxial or optical output
Must have hdmi out to send video to TV

1080p
Doesn't have to be 4k

Last edited:

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I would pop HDFury an email (click the email icon within the about us section on every page) as I'm sure they will have what you are looking for

If you have a look at the manual on your TV, you may also find it outputs an optical PCM format (although this might just be PCM/Stereo) via its optical connection when connecting any HDMI device to it

What device are you hoping to get the product to work with?

rccarguy2

TV is Pioneer kuro which only outputs PCM.
Source is older av pre-amp, no HDMI inputs

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
So, it looks like you need to go a little old school here in order to make things work.

What is the pre-amp and I'm guessing you've updated something which is causing a new issue for you (is that correct)?
How many sources are you trying to connect?

If its the likes of Sky/Virgin/Terrestrial broadcasters receivers, then most of these devices have optical outputs and you can usually using the optical output via those devices whilst still using the HDMI cable to the TV. If its a Blu-ray players, again many of these work in the same way to allowing the audio to pass via the optical connection whilst still using the HDMI cables for the visual side

rccarguy2

BD player, doesn't have optical/coaxial output.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
That's unusual for a Blu-ray player not to have both outputs (I'm only aware of a few which don't). Although its a little late in the day (as you already own the Blu-ray player) looking in the classifieds or adding a "wanted post" as most have both features. Have you replaced your existing player for streaming usage and if so, it still might be your best option depending upon what you wish to using if for

rccarguy2

It's Panasonic BD150

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Yeah, it looks like quite a few of the base line models have had this feature removed sadly. I'd say that if you cannot find something cheap on Amazon or these forums (add something in the classifieds as someone may have an older HDFury type product knocking around which they don't use) as it will most likely cost more than the player meaning it'll be more worthwhile letting the one you have go and jumping to a model which has the required connections you need

rccarguy2

Only just bought it!

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
painful, are you able to send it back?

rccarguy2

argos saying because I've powered it up no refunds WTF

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Although I cannot comment on what Argos have said and whether you take it further with them or not, but the options you have are limited to what I have mentioned before, so maybe add something on these forums within the classified section to see if anyone has an older unit going spare for not many pennies :)

rccarguy2

Tried HDMI audio extractor, was clickingon Dolby HD 7.1

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The HDFury Integral2, Vertex and Vertex2 all output HDMI audio over Optical.

Joe

rccarguy2

He wouldn't spend that sort of money on one and neither would i

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Trial and error then as the lower cost kit tends not to offer you custom firmware or options for setting EDID to suit your system.

Best to set a budget and see if anyone has found anything reliable to suit your application - would be good to know which Source devices and AVP you are working with.

Joe

rccarguy2

Pioneer kuro 5090 and Panasonic 159bd player sherbourne 7010 AV pre

rccarguy2

It's a old AV pre amp. Really stupid menu system hard to use..not as many sound options like my lexicon MC-8

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I guess you get what you paid for no matter when you purchase - the Lexicon was in a very different price bracket to the Sherbourn.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom