HDMI to Cat converter quality?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jeegnesh, Feb 11, 2009.

1. jeegnesh

jeegnesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I need to send an Sky HD signal 25m over hdmi from reading the solution is hdmi to cat5/6 (thinking 6 for future proofing).

I wondered how much difference there is in the quality of these converters, as I can see one on amazon that would do the job for me at just £25 (Max Value HDMI 480P / 1080P Extender over CAT5E/6: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo)

Basically I don't want to spend lots this is for a bedroom TV but I want to utlize Sky HD and my HD TV.

I will be running the cable outside the house if that has any effect to anything. Also would be interested to know whether to get cat5 or 6

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    Hello jeegnesh

Yes big variances in how the 'HDMI over CAT5' units perform - you can run into image quality issues, audio issues and HDCP/EDID problems.

Like all thing HDMI either purchase something that has been tried and tested on many installs (The Media Factory) or start with the lowest cost kit you can find and potentially work your way through the dross until you stumble on a working solution (if you are very lucky the low cost unit will work for you!).

CAT5e at 25m is your best option - if its going externally and its not in a conduit ensure you get a cable that's rated for external use.

And remember you require two runs of cable.

I'd also run an RF cable so you can use a SKY Magic Eye to control the SKY box remotely.

Joe

3. jeegnesh

jeegnesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks Joe thats useful info. The box you mention is pretty pricey I was hoping to getting away with the least damage (as we all do nowadays), can anyone recommend something that they have tried and tested and price?

Yes planning to run RF for magic eye and the TV's freeview so both TV can watch independently if needed. Having the same issue with magic eye's, I see them range from £6 to £30

Any guidance on whether to run cat5 or 6 (FYI I have had a cat5 run for an xbox over 3 years now, was a cheap maplin cable 15m and it still works fine, through the heatwaves, rain and snow, I always thought it would stop one day). Probably 2mro now I said it :rolleyes:

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    CAT5e will be ideal.

Joe

PS Maybe get three runs now you've mentioned the Xbox cable :)

5. jeegnesh

jeegnesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
  6. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
  7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    Hello jeegnesh

The CAT5e will be ideal.

Joe

8. jeegnesh

jeegnesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I tried cheapest first:-

Max Value HDMI 480P / 1080P Extender over CAT5E/6: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo for £25 with
    2 x Cat6 RJ45 Ethernet LAN Network UTP Lead 20m New Cable: CAT6-20mZZ Cablestar - Computer Cables £15

and lucky for me it worked and quality seemed pretty good, although I tested only for a short time at a friends house, so won't know if there any issue over loner use. Although it may not be the best, for bedroom viewing it seems perfect, hopefully when I set it up at home fully it all works fine too.

9. bwaadass

bwaadass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi jeegnesh, was wondering how you got on with the Max Value product now that you've had a few months to test it? I'm thinking of doing the same thing (except with internal wiring)....

10. jeegnesh

jeegnesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    It's fantastic. Working perfectly the SD quality is good way better then aerial and the HD is just outstanding. I am very happy with it so much so I plan to buy another pair soon for another room. I wish I had the internal wiring.

11. bwaadass

bwaadass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you very much jeegnesh for taking the time to reply to me. Off the back of your recommendation I bought this unit and I agree - it is fantastic!!! I'm very happy with it... a bargain.

Am also tempted to purchase a second unit!

12. jeegnesh

jeegnesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    No problem its great to help someone out, after all the help the forum has been to me.

I bought a second pair myself and yet again working lovely. Just in case you decide to split to another TV and want 5.1 take a look at posts I have started recently you will yet again find I got everything working over a 20m distance with much cheaper components then ones suggested, bargain really and it works very very well, I can't tell the difference and thats what matter to me ;-)

There are posts on HDMI splitter, how to send 5.1 over 20m, optical splitter might come in handy in case you try splitting again to another TV.

13. GazzaS

GazzaS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Great thread... excellent information.

Can you confirm if the Max Value is rated to HDMI 1.2 or 1.3b and if it works with Lossless audio (Dolby HD)?

Thanks again,

Gary

14. jeegnesh

jeegnesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Gary I don't have anything to test that out, I can confirm Dobly 5.1 definetly works, can't confirm Dolby HD however, sorry.

15. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    You will pay a premium for a Cat5 Extender that supports 1.3 features such as Dolby TrueHD.

The vast majority of those in the market and especially the value models are 1.2 only. I would be very wary of a cheap extender claiming to be 1.3 - you may find when you come to use it that you are disappointed when you can't get 7.1 through it.

We only have one model that supports 1.3 and that is our infinius model:
    HDMI over Cat 5/6/7 Extender with IR Passback with Optical Audio - Long HDMI Cable

16. gruttyman

gruttyman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @JamieS

Your mail footer suggests 'HDMI over IP is here"?

Does this mean that your HDMI/CAT6 solution might work using the 'HomePlug' units from the likes of Netgear/Devolo which send IP over internal mains wiring? This would be much simpler (although a little more expensive) than running a new CAT5/6 cable between rooms. You could just use two HomePlug units @200Mbps, and connect the HDMI extender to a local mains socket near the SKY HD box and another near the second telly?

Would be very interested if this is possible :)

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    HDMI over Powerline will make an appearance later this year.

Joe

18. gruttyman

gruttyman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe, is that a 'no' to using HDMI extenders over existing powerline products?

HDMI over simple coax is probably relatively simple, but HDMI over IP brings a whole new bunch of QoS questions to the table :)

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    I don't believe the various HDMI over IP solutions are compatible with HomePlug - hopefully Jamie can clarify re the products he supports.

With HDMI over CATx, HDMI over IP and HDMI over Powerline options becoming available, as well as Wireless HDMI, we've got lots of options and lots to find out about!

Joe

20. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Can't wait for hdmi over powerline :)

you can't use baluns over current homeplugs av powerline

I asked two popular hdmi product suppliers (not joe or mark grant )

one said wasn't sure so buy it and see and no quibble return if not (hassle for me to get to post office so declined the fair offer)

one said no but claimed spoke to monster (lol) and they claimed it would

devolo already have a powerline satellite tuner system but it only works with their sat box iirc

I just using a long hdmi cable run for now with cat6 in place for futureproofing as advised by joe fernand and mark grant

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  21. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    In theory, yes the HDMI over IP devices should work with homeplugs... just like in theory they should work with very high bandwidth capable wireless bridges etc.. however... in practice we cannot get it to work.

This is not because the technology is not capable of it, if the conditions are all correct and perfect because the HDMI over IP units uses packet data, just like the internet - it would work.

Sadly, the hitch here is that no sets of homeplugs ever live up to their stated bandwidth capabilities. The homeplugs claims ALWAYS far exceeds their actual "real-world" application. We've tried with numerous models.

The box says 7, you actually get 2. etc etc

The best we have managed is a steady picture for 5 seconds or so on non HD material. The signal over powerline is just not stable enough.

22. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Hi

So how much bandwidth do you need?. A set of powerline 200mbps could say consistently stream around 30mbps - enough to stream a 1080p clip across the network but not enough for standard SD?

Thanks