HDMI to Cat 6 extender issues...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Les E, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have a HDMI to Cat6 cable installation from my Sky+HD receiver. It consists of a splitter from the Sky HDMI to 2x HDMI/Cat6 extenders which sends to 2 TV's around the house (largest distance 20M).

This has been working fine until recently where there has been frequent signal drop to both TV's and now one of the TV's wont pick-up the signal at all. I have replaced the extenders, the splitter, HDMI cables and in the process of replacing the Cat6 cable.

However the second TV dropped today and after a rampage of stripping back the cabling/boxes got it to work solely as a direct feed into the extender. However I will need a splitter of some degree to get both TV's working. I keep buying new equipment but it doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Has anyone come across this issue and a potential remedy for the drop in signal. I am dredding getting new Cat6 installed and it still doesn't work!!

Anybody think it could be the splitter as an issue, although I have tried a direct feed to first TV that went down with no luck? My current splitter is a Neet 1 into 4 out amplifer.

Cheers.

2. joffonon

joffonon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I use an HDBaseT HDMI extender, and I've experienced signal drops from time to time, ranging from a few seconds every so often to periods of an hour or more where it just wouldn't work.

Like you, I've tried swapping units, cables etc. as at one point I had two extenders in place from my Sky+ HD box, but the fault never followed a particular piece of equipment. My current thinking is that it's actually the power supplies that are the culprit; I've had one supply blow completely through normal use (which got replaced), and I've had mostly trouble-free use these last few months since swapping the power supplies from an extender I've stopped using.

Personally I'm going to abandon the whole thing and go over to Sky Q eventually...

3. sim12

sim12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    in theory hdmi over cat6 should be better over longer distances , i did mine for my pj not long ago 15 metre stretch , no issues at all , before that i used 10 metre hdmi cables , had drop outs , colour issues, etc.

It can surely only be your hdmi,cat boxes or your cables ?