HDMI to AV amp and older TV

kdp99

Hi Folks,

Looking for some advice on this. I amp going to upgrade to an HDMI equipped AV amp in the near future. I'd like to send the HDMI from my STB to the TV and the AV amp. I bought a powered HDMI amp, and tested it and it works perfectly, in the sense it sends the signal to both inputs on my TV.

The problem I see is that the TV does not understand Dolby digital etc, so I believe that if I attach it to the TV and av amp it will default to sending the lowest sound format (2.0 for the TV not 5.1 for the amp) to both devices.

Two questions:
1 Is my understanding correct
2 If it is does any one know of a way round to still use a splitter like this ?

Thanks

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Most amplifiers have a HDMI Audio Passthrough option in the menu.

If this is enabled:-

The amplifier will pass HDMI audio directly from your source to your display. This will - as you suggest - cause your source to drop down to a two channel mode

If this is disabled:-

The amplifier will become the audio sink instead and therefore you will get the full audio capabilities. Your TV will then be silent...

kdp99

Thanks Steve, thats a help.

I was aware of the pass thorough, but did not know its effect on the 'sink' side of things.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You could ditch putting the STB HDMI via the 1x2 HDMI DA and use Optical from the STB to the AV Amp when you want 5.1 audio!

In theory the Source should ‘read’ the Sink and or Repeaters EDID to work out what Audio to Output – in practice there are so many variables it invariably doesn’t work correctly!

Joe

kdp99

Thanks Joe,

I much rather use Optical or coaxial for everything except Blue Ray, but new amps have typically only 4 digital audio inputs of this type and I have quite a few devices to connect, my current amp has 6 optical and 5 coaxial (not all used)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Be wary of ‘upgrading’ to an HDMI equipped Amp – your current Amp may be a better proposition :)

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom