HDMI through amp or direct to TV?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by tpush, Jan 13, 2008.

1. tpush

tpush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a digital coax for audio from my Onkyo 405 dvd player to my Onkyo 505E amp and need to know whether I should connect HDMI from the 405 through the amp and then to the TV or just direct to the TV? I think direct to the TV but not sure and want to buy the cables this week. For info, I don't have any other HD ready devices going through the amp currently.

I'm thinking of buying the cambridge HDMI leads from richer sounds for 30 pounds a hit, are these worth it? I don't want to get into the whole HDMI cable debate, just need some decent cables that do the job. Didn't want to spend more than 30 ideally.

Also, is it worth changing the scart lead that comes with Sky+ to a better quality aka more expensive scart?:)

2. tvtyke

tvtyke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    With regards to the cables, I'm pretty new to this mullarkey, but we've just spent an afternoon blind testing a Chord HDMI cable (cost my mate around £80 :eek:) and a Philips version, which cost me the grand total of £9.97 from ASDA. Neither of us could pick the winner without just guessing. Absolutely NO difference noticed on any of the discs we tried. Possibly benefit a full 1080p HD set-up. I thought I was pushing the boat out coughing up 10 sheets!!!

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    You only need to go to the amp if the amp is going to decode HD-DVD/Blu Ray audio formats otherwise just go straight to the TV.

As long as the cables can do 1080p without sparklies (snow effect onscreen due to signal degradation). There will be no difference. Only long cables such as 5m or more needs a bit more money spent on them. Spend around £10 for a 1.5m to 2m cable.

4. tpush

tpush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this mean that if I want to play a HD DVD on my DVD player (not HD DVD player) I will need to go via the amp in order to upscale to 720p (which is the TV HD ready limit)? Will it not upscale direct to the TV?

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    DVD players cannot do HD DVD.

Some DVD players upscale but all HDTV's upscale.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    Hello tpush

Think of your Onkyo TX-SR505E as an AV Receiver with a stand alone 2x1 HDMI Switch bolted into the back panel.

Video and Audio signals going via the HDMI Sockets do not enter the internal signal path/processing of your AV Receiver.

For audio you require a separate cable for Stereo or Multi channel audio from any HDMI equipped Source you want to listen to via your AV Receiver.

The only 'advantage' of using the HDMI switch in the AV Receiver is to enable you to select between Two HDMI equipped Sources into a single HDMI Input on your TV.

To play back an HD DVD Disc you require an HD DVD Player.

Up-converting a DVD Disc in a DVD Player, HD DVD Player, Blu-ray Player, AV Receiver or Video Processor may have some visual benefits but its not the same as starting out with a Disc encoded in an HD format (HD DVD or Blu-ray).

For short cable run HDMI cables don't need to be overly expensive or elaborate - a 1m or 2m Octava HDMI cable will cost you around 12.00 GBP.

A better quality SCART cable can have visible benefits - though even with the 'supplied' cable ensure you have the SKY box and your TV both set to RGB on the relevant SCART Input/Output.

Assuming SKY+ and DVD are your only Two sources your connectivity options are as follows:

SKY+
    Video - SCART to SCART cable to the TV
    Audio - Optical cable to the AV Receiver

DVD Player
    Video - HDMI to HDMI cable to the TV
    Audio - Coaxial cable to the AV Receiver

or

SKY+
    Video - SCART to SCART cable to the TV
    Audio - Optical cable to the AV Receiver

DVD Player
    Video - HDMI to HDMI cable to the AV Receiver