1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI switching?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Kier, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Kier

Kier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Perhaps I'm missing the point here, but it seems to me that those of us who are using HDMI already may get nobbled for being early adopters.

Specifically, let's say that you're getting ready for HD with an HDMI plasma screen and you already have an HDMI DVD player. You plug in an HDMI to HDMI cable between the plasma screen and the DVD...

...and then you try to plug in your HDMI DVD recorder and your new HDMI Sky HD box.

Are there any products out there yet that have multiple HDMI ports, or even an HDMI pass-through so that you could connect a chain like you do with Scart sockets, or better still that create an HDMI network like Pioneer's i-Link audio components do (such as DV-868AVi + VSX-AX5Ai)?

2. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Gefen do one, but its only a two way switch:
    http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2590.

Yes, you are a victim of early adopter syndrome. Denon's new £4000 AV amp will have HDMI switching. I expect will see this feature in reasonably priced AV amps next year.

James

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I still want to know how we can use ONE cable for both 5.1 sound and digital video.
    Its impossible to use one cable that can go to both the amp and the TV.

Unless we pass 1 cable through the amp then use another to the TV from the Amp.

Thats still 2 cables. DOH!

4. Kier

Kier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, current HDMI hardware seems to be somewhat lacking in forethought.

5. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    But as soon as you start using more than 1 device through a HDMI switching amp, you'd start saving a cable for every device you have. i.e., if you have a games console, HD STB and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player that all have HDMI you'll only need 1 cable from each to the amp and then one to the TV. Whereas if you don't use HDMI, you'll need 3 video cables going from the devices to the TV, and 3 audio cables going to the amp, which makes 6 (plus a bigger mess if you do your cabling like I do :D).

The problem is that the market isn't currently awash with HDMI switching amps.

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Does seem a bit shortsighted compared to SCART - which carries RGB, S-video or composite (the latter in two directions) as well as stereo audio in both directions.

Pity they didn't create a "digital SCART" - with digital video and digital audio.

7. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Will Denon's £4000 amp actually accept sound through the HDMI connection, or will it just be for video switching?

8. AndrewTheMuppet

AndrewTheMuppet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    At 4 grand I bloody hope so!!! :eek:

Thats the whole point of HDMI. If it didn't do sound and video I don't think anyone would buy it. Anyway it would defeat one of the main reasons for having HDMI... less cables.

9. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    There are also rumours on AVS that there is a new Marantz (9600?) coming with HDMI switching.

10. mandkman

mandkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was just about to post a new thread on this, but as you guys have already started......

I asked the same question to a manager at Sevenoaks.....eg you have a HDMI dvd player
    and the forthcoming SKY HD box and hence have 2 HDMI connections to make....his response
    was to say that you either:-

a) get a new amp with HDMI switching (rather expensive as I have just bought a denon 3805 that does not have this)
    or
    b) use HDMI for your DVD player and component for your Sky Box as it would still be excellent (which to me defeats the purpose of HD TV)

Something that no one seems to be saying is......
    Why don't plasma screens have more than one HDMI socket, or even a HDMI and a DVI socket as per the denon 3910 DVD player!!!

I am holding off buying a plasma till manufacturers make this seemingly no-brainer decision!

Anybody know if any HD plasma screens plan to have this in future ??

11. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Recently Onkyo released a new digital amp that looks really tight and offers HDMI/DVi switching. I still dont know if it accpets sound through the HDMI though.

http://www.jp.onkyo.com/tx-na1000/outline.htm

As for the Denon 3910, I have one and it is good to have both the DVi and HDMI outputs. Still you can only use one at a time by selecting which output you use through the remote.

You wouldnt be able to conect say, the HDMI to a PJ and the DVi to a monitor and have them both on at the same time.

These conections are interconective so it doesnt really matter at this time which one you use. You can get cables that have HDMI on one end and DVi on the other. As long as you dont want to use the HDMis sound capabilities then your fine!

12. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    HDMI v1.1 has both digital video and multichannel digital sound in the same cable, plus room for growth in the spec. It is in effect a digital SCART.

James

13. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
  14. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Most people are calling hdmi the 'digital scart' as it carries both digital video and sound like a standard scart carries analogue video and sound. The added benefit is hdmi 1.1 carries multi-channel sound also, (DVD A, poss SACD in the future). I believe hdmi can carry information in both directions also. A high quality rgb scart lead is video only anyway, and one way I think!?

15. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Maybe he just wants to keep scart alive by making it digital.

I beleive that scart is only available in Europe. In order to make a single world standard like HDMI work, other formats need to die off. Same for HDTV.

16. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    im sure in the future they will make an HDMI switch box. i use an RGB switch box to plug everything into then i plug the box into the back of the tele one RGB scart used.

im sure they will make an HDMI switch box that does the same thing that allows you to connect loads of devices into one switch box then plug the switch box using one HDMI socket into the one HDMI in the back of the plasma. some ones just got to invent one first.

i will need one HDMI for SKY one for HD DVD and one for a hi def games console

17. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
  18. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I probably need a 4-way switcher for future proofing (if that is ever possible). DVD, SkyHD, a.n.other non-SkyHD Satbox, PC (via DVI->HDMI) would take 3 connections. Is there anywhere selling the Gefen 4-way HDMI switcher in the UK. Digi-Box seem to do the 2-way only.

Currently my PC is connected to the Pioneer 504 media box via DVI -> VGA (the DVD is on the HDMI input), so I'm stuck with D->A->D on this link, though it still looks pretty good on HD sources from the PC.

Its also a pain that the Gefen 4-way model also comes with the digital audio connections as that is wasted on me, and just makes the box more expensive.

19. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Seems to me that the best way to connect all your various HDMI equipment, (Sky hi-def, Blu-Ray, dvd, next gen consoles/hardware etc.), to the one HDMI socket on your tv would be via a compatible AV amp/receiver. Are there any AV amps with HDMI inputs/output yet :confused: ?

20. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've heard of a rumour of an Onkyo and the next Denons, but they are going to be extravagantly expensive...and I've only bought my Pioneer AX5 recently.

21. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    How long before hdmi features on players in teh £500 or less catorgory?

22. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    They're already available, Rob - the Samsung HD945 and Panasonic S97 both have HDMI outputs. The Onkyo TX-NR1000 is the only amp I'm aware of that has HDMI inputs. Hope this helps.

Steve

23. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
  24. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +914
    And that only has two HDMI inputs...and cost the same price as a small car:D

25. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Sorry, I meant to say, how long before you can get hdmi switching built into an AV amp for less than £500.

26. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    ive been thinking about that me self, me first and only amp has been the yammaha A5 which has been serving me preety well but is also sounding its age now. i was thinking of upgrading to 7.1 amp till the sky HD plans were annouced.