HDMI switcher/splitter

Beany31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my TV doesn't have enough HDMI ports so I'm looking to get a switcher or splitter so I can have Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Sky HD and Home Cinema System connected to it.

I'd like it to be remote controlled as I would like to get a Harmony Remote as well. If you could help me that'd be great.

I'd like to know what products are out there that are cheap and are in the Logitech database?

You require a Switch not a Splitter.

Ideally for best integration with your Harmony remote you’ll want a Switch with Discrete IR codes for each Input plus On/Off – 5 port HDMI switch. 3D support Full HD 1080P. 5x1 HDMI switcher to share 5 HDMI sources with 1 HDTV for incredible HD experience.

PC’s can be tricky going via a Switch – when you switch away from the PC it may assume the connected monitor has gone to sleep and put itself into sleep mode and as it’s not directly connected to a Monitor when you switch back to the PC it may not wake out of sleep mode.

If you can’t disable this mode on the PC you will require an EDID grabber – they run to about 130.00 GBP and live between the PC and the Switch and fool the PC into thinking it’s always connected to an active monitor.

Joe

You require a Switch not a Splitter.

Ideally for best integration with your Harmony remote you’ll want a Switch with Discrete IR codes for each Input plus On/Off – 5 port HDMI switch. 3D support Full HD 1080P. 5x1 HDMI switcher to share 5 HDMI sources with 1 HDTV for incredible HD experience.

PC’s can be tricky going via a Switch – when you switch away from the PC it may assume the connected monitor has gone to sleep and put itself into sleep mode and as it’s not directly connected to a Monitor when you switch back to the PC it may not wake out of sleep mode.

If you can’t disable this mode on the PC you will require an EDID grabber – they run to about 130.00 GBP and live between the PC and the Switch and fool the PC into thinking it’s always connected to an active monitor.

Joe
Cheers for that, looks like what I need. The PC can go in to one of the other ports on the TV to be fair that's fine. Everything else can go in to one so all is good.
Is that what they go for or are there any cheaper HDMI switches that can be tuned on to a harmony remote?

Sorry for hijacking, but I have a similar question.

I just got Sky HD, and also have a PS3 connected. But my TV only has 1 HDMI.

I bought a switcher on ebay for about a tenner, but it seems that it won't work with the HD box.

Is there any cheap solution? Id prefer something that selects automatically or by remote but if we're talking more than £20 then I think I'll live with getting off my arse and swapping the cables!

Whilst the cable swapping option is probably better for you waist line it’s not so good for your HDMI cables or Input/output sockets.

Your likely to eventually damage either the cable (not such a problem) or one of the chassis sockets on your kit; which can be very costly to resolve.

Joe

Whilst the cable swapping option is probably better for you waist line it's not so good for your HDMI cables or Input/output sockets.

Your likely to eventually damage either the cable (not such a problem) or one of the chassis sockets on your kit; which can be very costly to resolve.

Joe

So is there any relatively cheap option? Even if the "intelligent switching" option doesn't work I don't mind getting up to press a switch.

I've seen others on ebay that are about £25 and have a little remote.

Or is it time to upgrade the TV... :devil:

Some of the Assured Advertisers listed on the sticky thread at the top of this section will have low cost 3x1 Switch gear.

Even if you go ‘high end’ and get something that does offer Auto source selection (3 port HDMI switch. 3D support Full HD 1080P. 3x1 HDMI switcher to share 3 HDMI sources with 1 HDTV for incredible HD experience.) it’s still going to make a new TV look a bit OTT; unless you’re looking for an excuse for that New TV :D

Joe

Well the TV is about 6 years old, and only 1080i so I wouldn't mind an upgrade, but I really can't afford it. Neither can I afford $100 for a switch box!

Your TV won’t be ‘1080i’ – though maybe it’s ‘limited’ to supporting 720p and 1080i and won’t support 1080p.

Keep in mind all UK HD broadcasts are 1080i and just because a New TV supports 1080p doesn’t guarantee you a better image than what your currently viewing.

Joe

Yeh that's the same as me, I'm not wanting to shell out a fortune on one either. Just looking for something cheap that can be controlled by a remote

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom