HDMI Switcher I think - advice reqd

singingauditor

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Marantz av6003 av amp, 3 hdmi inputs and 2 hdmi outputs (tv and projector). it all works great, but now i need more hdmi inputs, as i have just bought a WD Live TV. so i need an extra input. And probably more hdmi inputs if i get a av pc

What do i need? a hdmi switch attached to one of the av amp inputs?

i think i need a 3 to 1 hdmi switch. am i right? what would be good one to go for. i guess i'd be happy to pay about £70 for decent one with no issues.

thanks in advance:lease:

Singingauditor I hope you dont mind me using your thread to ask this question but do all these switching units need a power supply ?

Yes they do.

The only models that we stock that do not require power are the "manual" push button type switches.

Last edited:
Do they do a v1.4?

In theory any switch will work upstream of your AV Amp - in practice you can run into handshaking issues so be prepared for a bit of messing around if you are unlucky and your kit doesn't play nice.

Any switch that lacks an external PSU is pulling power off of the HDMI signal Bus - the power rail on the HDMI signal Bus is not designed to power switch gear.

Media Factory - Octava HDS3-UK, 3x1 HDMI switch

Ensure your intended PC has the ability to keep its graphics card awake when its not seeing a monitor on the HDMI Output port - otherwise you will require an EDID capture device between the PC and the switch or AV Amp.

Gefen Inc. - HDMI Detective Plus

Joe

PS Most switch gear will currently top out at HDMI 1.3 compliant as manufacturers are awaiting new silicon from the chip vendors before 1.4 makes an appearance.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom