• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Hdmi switch with coax

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Which Source devices are you planning to connect to the Switch and which Display device?

Joe

skyliner34

Established Member
I have, Sky +HD, PS3 & Apple TV. All will be plugged into a Samsung TV. But I need a coax or optical out from switch box to plug into amp.

The TV only has headphone out, no optical or line out.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The majority of SKY+ HD box’s only output Stereo audio via HDMI and require an Optical or Coaxial cable for ‘up-to’ DD 5.1.

Your TV will likely only work with a stereo audio signal so unless you can override the Audio settings in your sources your Source devices which are capable of 5.1 via HDMI may be stuck in 2.0 ‘stereo’ audio via HDMI unless the Switch you install has inbuilt EDID management!

You may need to consider an HDMI + Optical Switch to achieve 5.1 from every Source into your AV Amp.

Media Factory - Octava HD41-ARC-UK, HDMI + Optical + ARC switch

Joe

skyliner34

Established Member
Thanks for that.

I don't use the 5.1 feature of the skybox anyway, 2 ch stereo is all I use.

My ps3 is set to bitstream thru hdmi. The Apple TV, all I use that for is AirPlay from my mac and view photos, so surround sound is not crucial for me.

My setup is 2 ch stereo anyway.

I've brought this for £36 on ebay, will it do the job you think?

4 Port HDMI High Speed switch - HD-SWTC404 - Scan.co.uk

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you only require 2.0 audio then that does simplify things – hopefully the switch you have gone with integrates with the rest of your kit.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom