HDMI switch or route more cables

gbrandwood

Standard Member
I'm buying a TV (LG OLED55G16LA) with 4 HDMI inputs. It's going to be mounted on the plasterboard wall of a fireplace (no fire). I originally wanted 4 HDMI cables plugging in and routing behind the wall to the side of the fireplace, along with a CAT6 cable and maybe the coax satellite cables (TV has Freesat).

I've asked an installer and they're recommending I just run 1 HDMI and feed that to a switch instead of routing the 4 cables

I hadn't considered that. My initial reaction was that I'd rather avoid introducing another device, power, remote etc. but appreciate routing 4 cables is going to be tougher. I don't want to be that awkward customer!

So, is 1 cable + a switch the way things are usually done or should I opt for routing all of the cables?

As it stands, I only have a Skybox that needs connecting (via HDMI) + a Chromecast (via HMDI) so don't need 4 HDMIs but may want additional kit in future.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

graham14

I would say using one cable is a risk, you should use at least two to give you a spare in case the original fails and make sure both are of a suitable standard ie 4k etc
I have used a switch with 5 inputs and one output with remote from Amazon, which also works with my Logitech remote.
Also remember to allow for another cable length for cables to reach all inputs in case a TV input fails in the future

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
I'd probably opt for cables.
Certainly run two ethernet (one used plus a spare); and two all-copper double-screened coax (UHF TV and SAT).

Work out the cost of multiple cables vs the switch as the first thing.

Acknowledge that one TV remote will control all inputs if all cabled.
Versus the need for another 'select source' remote for hdmi switch as well (you can get auto-switching but not all devices play nicely with hdmi cec: "are you feeling lucky, punk?")

Also acknowledge that the TV probably allows 'per input' picture and sound adjustments to best match the sources and a hdmi switch has to use the same settings. {Can be particularly useful for gaming machines connected to use the TV game setting mode}.

Ideally make the cable duct between the TV rear and 'equipment bay' area large enough to allow more cables to be added later - with a 'draw cord' to facilitate that. It then also allows replacement of faulty ones!

Of course over long hdmi cables can present their own issues.

gbrandwood

Standard Member
Thanks for the comments so far.

Particularly like the thought about each HDMI potentially having unique settings attached to it. A switch would limit that.

When running the cables, would you opt for a male/female cable for the HDMI, and then add a cable at the device end to connect it, or would you recommend running cables long enough to connect to the devices themselves directly and keep the unused ones hidden in the interim?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom