Quantcast

HDMI Switch + Optical Audio Out

rboll

Standard Member
I've done a lot of searching before I decided to post this, but most of the results are discontinued products.

I'm building a bit of a home theater in my house with a projector, 5.1 surround, and multiple HD devices. This leads me to the dilemma of HDMI switching.

Finding an HDMI switch is easy enough, however finding one with optical audio out that is either reasonably priced or still available is very hard. Are there any products that support current standards at a reasonable price available?

Thanks in advance

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Are you after an HDMI Switch with Optical Out (audio processed from the HDMI stream) or an HDMI + Optical Switch (with HDMI + Optical connections from each Source)?

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Octava have a 5x1 unit with Optical out (HDSA51-UK) – what you need to keep in mind is that not all Source devices deliver a 5.1 signal via HDMI.

SKY+ HD for example is 2.0 only via HDMI - you need to use the Optical Out on the SKY box if you want 5.1!

If you list the Source devices you want to connect to the HDTV + Optical Input on the Surround system folk can better advise on the most suitable solution.

It’s also worth asking will you always use the Surround system - if not does your HDTV cater for 5.1 on its HDMI Input?

Joe

rboll

Standard Member
My system consists of a projector for video out, Logitech Z5500 speakers, PS3, xbox 360, Apple TV, a computer,and I might add another device the future but for sure those 4. To my knowledge they also support 5.1 over HDMI

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Certainly the first three can be set to Output Video + DD/DTS – as can a PC; though make sure you understand its capabilities/settings before you assume your's will.

Also note you’ll want to disable any ‘sleep’ modes on the PC – if it goes to sleep when it’s not the selected Input to the HDMI Switch you may struggle to get it to ‘wake’ when you do want to select it as the active Input.

If this proves to be a problem you will require an EDID grabber such as the Gefen HDMI Detective+ between the PC and the Switch.

Joe

rboll

Standard Member
Certainly the first three can be set to Output Video + DD/DTS – as can a PC; though make sure you understand its capabilities/settings before you assume your's will.

Also note you'll want to disable any ‘sleep' modes on the PC – if it goes to sleep when it's not the selected Input to the HDMI Switch you may struggle to get it to ‘wake' when you do want to select it as the active Input.

If this proves to be a problem you will require an EDID grabber such as the Gefen HDMI Detective+ between the PC and the Switch.

Joe
Thanks for the info. The computer won't be connected to the switch all of the time until I get enough for the Mac Mini, so I don't think I'll have to worry too much about sleep mode interfering.

One thing I should mention is I'm actually from the US, but from my research this forum definitely seems to be the best for AV questions.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Top Bottom