HDMI switch - mechanical or electronic?

jet_andy

Novice Member
There's now quite a few HDMI switching solutions appearing, for those of us with a TV with only one HDMI input, and two units to connect - in my case Sky HD and an upscaling DVD player.

Are the mechanical (cheap) switches any good?

What's the advantage of the electronic ones, aside from better styling, and remote control?

Any recommendations?

cooperda

jet_andy said:
There's now quite a few HDMI switching solutions appearing, for those of us with a TV with only one HDMI input, and two units to connect - in my case Sky HD and an upscaling DVD player.

What's the advantage of the electronic ones, aside from better styling, and remote control?

Any recommendations?
There is another - dearer option - one of the newer AV Amps with 2 HDMI inputs and one output.

That is if you are thinking AV Theatre - or ready to upgrade an older AMP.

Cheers, Dave C.

C

chachi

I've got a Gefen autoswitching 2-to-1 DVI/HDCP box which works a treat and draws power from DVI1 instead of a wall socket if needed.

Thinking of flogging it and going with a manual one with 2xDVI/HDCP, coaxial and analogue inputs, 2xHDMI, coaxial and analogue inputs, and features DVI/HDCP and HDMI outputs with coaxial and analogue audio as well.

Iain-

Novice Member
jet_andy said:

Any recommendations?
I'm amazed that people who spend large amounts of dosh for their display would then get the cheapest HDMI switch to hook things up to it and then wonder why it doesn't work right.

Get the best, most stable switch that meet your requirements. Do it right at the beginning and move on to other, more important things.

jet_andy

Novice Member
Iain- said:
I'm amazed that people who spend large amounts of dosh for their display would then get the cheapest HDMI switch to hook things up to it and then wonder why it doesn't work right.

Get the best, most stable switch that meet your requirements. Do it right at the beginning and move on to other, more important things.
Good point - well made.