HDMI switch issues

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by TVJohn56, Aug 23, 2013.

1. TVJohn56

TVJohn56
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies in advance for the rather long explanation but I wanted to be quite clear on the facts:

I am house-sitting for a friend for a year and he has a Panasonic 1080p projector with HDMI built in. He had an older AV amp which could only handle component connectors and so used an HDMI matrix switch (4 inputs, 2 outputs) to switch his various inputs to either a small (possibly quite old) Panasonic TV or the projector. Having been a visitor there on a number of occasions I know that this combination worked perfectly well.

Most of my AV setup is more modern than his, so I have installed my own AV amp, TV, Freeview PVR, etc. I thought I would just use the matrix switch on the output from the amp to send the output to either my TV or the projector, but this has given rise to two problems:

1: Because I have HDMI control on (and would rather keep it on) turning on, say, the BD player also turns on the TV, even if the matrix switch is set so that the TV receives nothing.
    2: If both the TV and projector are on and plugged in to the matrix switch the projector is displaying rubbish - a mostly white screen with changing patterns on it. In order to overcome this I have to turn everything off, unplug the TV and start again.

My best guess is that the TV is a more recent HDMI standard than the projector and is sending communications to the amp which the projector can't interpret, so I started looking around for something that would switch a single input to either of two outputs, but not both at once. However, such a thing doesn't seem to exist.

Has anyone come across something like this before and found a solution? I'm not averse to buying an HDMI switch which knows about the latest HDMI standard if this will fix the problem but I'm a bit reluctant to dive in without some assurance that it will work. My current solution is to plug whichever device I'm using in to the amp, but since the connector is round the back, and not too accessible, it isn't really ideal.

Equipment is as follows:
    TV: Sony KDL-40EX503
    Projector: Panasonic PT-AX200E
    AV Amp: Sony STR-DG820
    BD Player: Sony BDP-S350

I also have a Panasonic Freeview PVR and a Sony DVD Recorder, but its primarily for the BD player that I want to use the projector. I can't tell you exactly how long the HDMI cable to the projector is as it's all very neatly hidden away, but I'd guess it's around 5m. There's a 2m run to the TV and the other cables are all 1m or less.

John

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,473
    Interoperability issues between HDMI devices (old or new) is pretty much the way it is with HDMI.

I'd be tempted to suggest you revert back to the original wiring (rove the AVR from the HDMI signal path) and use Optical/Coaxial for 5.1 for each Source.

If you do want to keep the AVR in the HDMI signal path ensure all devices are running the latest firmware available and avoid plugging/unplugging HDMI cables with kit in Standby or powered On.

Joe

3. TVJohn56

TVJohn56
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe

Thanks for the reply, though I'm afraid most of your post went way over my head. Funnily enough I've never had interop problems before, but most of my equipment was bought around the same time whereas this projector is quite a bit older. Having played around a bit more I'm now thinking that the matrix switch isn't responsible for my woes so I might try reinstalling it. Your tip about the firmware, though, is certainly worth following up. Sony seem to have stopped updating the firmware for the BD player which is frustrating (I had an issue with the new version of Total Recall recently which most people seem to have fixed with a firmware update, but no such luck for me). I'll have a look around and see what's available.

John