HDMI Switch issue

greencode

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a HDMI Switch connected to HDMI3 on my JZ1500 but it's not really working in that when I turn on a device connected to the Switch, the TV, is not changing to HDMI3. Even when I manually change the TV to HDMI3 the screen is blank. I have to remove the HDMI cable and reinsert it and it then works again. Is there any settings or something I'm missing? Previously used the same Switch on the same HDMI channel on my CX802 with no such issues.

I've tried HDMI3 and HDMI4 for this. Currently I have a Firestick Mac on HDMI1 and Sonos Beam on HDMI2

Last edited:
Just had another play with a different HDMI cable but still the same issue. When I change the HDMI channel on the Switch, the TV doesn't recognise the new signal until I turn off the TV and turn it back on again?!

Just had yet another play and it seems that it sort of recognises the Switch when I go between a blu-ray player and YouView box but when I then turn on Apple TV (connected to the Switch) it then doesn't recognise the others until I turn the tv off and on again.

I have a older model Panasonic [2017 EX-780a] but I assume Panasonic's OS is still pretty much the same.
Have a look in the TV's Ehelp manual and type in HDMI, then see what options are available on your TV to help sort out the HDMI issues.....Might be some ECO function that is causing it.

But it certainly sounds like some sort of HDMI handshaking issue, where something is stopping the TV from detecting one or several pieces of equipment when used through the HDMI switch.

I suggest trying the methodical approach to fault find the cause to help stop pulling your hair out in frustration.....the process is quite involved and laborious [Total PITA TBH], but its the only way to truly fault find.

I've had to go through the process below myself, and it did eventually find the problem.
[One piece of equipment wouldn't work properly unless it was plugged into port 1 of my HDMI switch, WHY I don't know ].....I'm just glad I didn't have a 6 or 8 port HDMI switch at the time.

Also why one piece of equipment connected to a HDMI switch might not work properly when others are plugged in is a mystery to me, one would think that all pieces of equipment would be isolated within the HDMI switch, and only send/receive a signal when selected on the HDMI switch, but I've found there must be some signal leak through from one to another causing problems, at least on a cheap unit I had.

Just make sure any HDMI cables a fitted tightly during the tests.

I'm assuming you have a 4 post HDMI switch and you are using 4 different pieces of equipment.
If you are only using 3 different pieces of equipment on a 4 port HDMI switch, still test on all of the ports on the HDMI switch in the test procedure below.

Sometimes its the order of the pieces of equipment connected to a HDMI switch that will cause another piece of equipment attached to the HDMI switch not to work properly.
[Sounds strange, but HDMI has so many permutations it only takes one piece of connected equipment with a different one, to stop other connected ones to stop working properly, especially when ganged together on a HDMI switch]

Firstly get some stickers, or some masking tape and mark each piece of equipment you have connected to your HDMI switch and call them A/B/C/D. and get a piece of paper and a pen to write down the results of each test as you go through it.

1] Unplug the HDMI switch and all the units you have connected to it from the TV, then in succession, try each individual bit of gear you had plugged into the HDMI switch, by itself directly into your TV's HDMI 3 input and see if there are still problems with the TV switching/detecting that unit on, both while the TV is already on, and also from the TV being in standby.

All the further tests should be done both while the TV is on, and from standby, this might hint to some ECO mode being on [either on the piece of equipment or on the TV ] or triggered causing the problem.

If you find one piece of equipment that's not working, then that's the problem, or at least part of it, change the settings on that unit until it works.

2] If all work OK you will know its not a setting on one of the units that you have had connected to the switch that is causing the problem, or a HDMI setting on the TV.

Now repeat the previous test by reconnecting the HDMI switch, then select one individual piece of equipment [only ever having one piece of equipment connected to the switch at this stage] and see if the problem still happens, both when the TV already on, then from standby.
Do this again by plugging the piece of equipment you are testing into each different HDMI port on the HDMI Switch and retesting the same way each time.

Do this with each piece of equipment you use with the HDMI switch, and it being the only piece of equipment plugged into the HDMI switch.

This will tell you if there is one faulty port on the HDMI Switch [It could be wired incorrectly but still partially work], or that the HDMI implementation/driver on that piece of equipment is stopping it working with any particular port on the HDMI switch.

3] Now the really laborious task.....its going to take a while, and its a PITA, but if you are going to do this, you might as well do it properly.

Select a single piece of equipment that you will be using with the HDMI switch [put a sticker on it calling it A ], plug that into HDMI port 1 of the HDMI switch, then select one other piece of equipment and plug it into port 2 of the HDMI switch Call that B , test again while TV on and then in standby.
Then move piece of equipment B into the next port on the HDMI switch and test again, do this until you have tested all the HDMI switch's ports.
Now swap positions, put B into port 1 of the HDMI switch, and then test each HDMI port in turn with A.
Write down the results, you now know A and B work together in any configuration when connected to any of the ports of the HDMI switch.

4] Unplug and remove equipment B, reinstate A in port 1 in the HDMI switch, and do the exact same test above with piece of equipment C, write down results, then do the same with piece of equipment D.
Like the above test, this will tell you if one piece of euipment is causing the other not to work properly in any particular order, or in any particular port on the HDMI switch.

5] You are going to have to go through this process until you have tested each and every possible combination, only using two different piece of equipment plugged into the HDMI switch at any one time, and in each port on the HDMI switch.

This will tell you if one piece of equipment doesn't work if it's put in a port on the HDMI switch either in front or behind another.

6] If all work with just two pieces of equipment connected to the HDMI switch, its now time to test if when a third piece of equipment is added if things still work.

Since you already know two out of of any possible combinations of equipment work together in all of the ports on the HDMI switch, and in any order they are plugged in, you just need test adding a third piece of equipment to see if there are problems adding more equipment to the HDMI switch port 3, and if your TV recognizes it and gets it working.

Test all pieces of equipment as yet un-plugged into the HDMI switch one at a time, first in HDMI switch port 3 then port 4.
If after testing everything works with three pieces of equipment connected, and you have a fourth piece of equipment, test in HDMI switch port 4, then swap around whatever is plugged into port 3 with whatever is plugged into port 4.

You have now exhausted every possible combination and possible conflict that could occur with all your equipment using the HDMI switch.

I hope you find the problem and get it sorted.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Looks like I’ll have a busy weekend testing this out 😂

Well, after a bit of testing the only thing that seems to work but it's a workaround is changing the HDMI Auto Setting to Mode 1 when I want to use the Youview box or Blu-ray player and switching to Mode 2 when I want to connect to Apple TV! Just can't figure out why all 3 devices won't just work on the same Mode setting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom