1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Switch box?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mark_a, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    All I want is an HDMI 'one in, two out' switch. I don't need it buffered or split, just switched, so that i can send the output from my Lumagen to either the TV or the projector. All I can find are ones that buffer the output to two devices simultaneously, and have to do all the HDCP malarkey. Hence they cost an obscene £215. Surely a simple passive rotary, pin for pin switch should be available, and only cost at the most about £30?

Or is it still let's stiff the propeller heads time?

Regards

Mark

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Mark: I saw just such a device at CES....I took the details home and have tried to contact the manufacturer several times....they just ignore me. They did a push button version of what you want...it was around $60...or so.....

I'll see if I can find their details again for you.

Gordon

3. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    That would be great, Gordon, cheers.

By the way, I must get around to speaking with you about a full set up of my Lumagen with the rest of the system. Though not much point yet till I've got my scart switch and HDMI switch and 10m cable sorted out.

Regards

Mark

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello all

Mark a

No mater what 'distribution' switch you use it will need to be HDCP compliant if your source is HDCP and your Display's are also HDCP compliant.

I guess too you need to be ready for the odd surprise if you 'switch' to a second Display device if your source has already communicated with your first Display.

Best regards

Joe

PS The Gefen EXT-HDTV-142 1:2 DVI (with HDCP) Distribution amp has a sub £200.00 UK SRP (inc 1 x 6' DVI cable).

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I just cannot find this thing anywhere.....The company were a small concern who had these things made in Far East....As Joe says there can be issues with just switching HDMI/DVI source to displays. I hoped to get one of these things to check if it worked as it was a stationary display they had at the show.....I'd have thought they'd google to thte top but they haven't so I wonder whether it just never happened in the end.....or perhaps I dreamt it all in a Bobby Ewing type way.

G

6. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    I can't imagine just changing displays mid way through something. It's far more likely you decide which one you wanted before you turned anything else on. Under those circumstances I can't see why a passive switch wouldn't work perfectly. All it's for it to save swapping leads over.

Regards

Mark

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    To be honest, I would pay £150 to not have to get my fat arse out of the chair to switch the thing over! Let alone HDCP won't work unless you boot down DVD and Luma to then switch and boot back up again. And I also wouldn't want to think that after all that expensive processing my now perfect video signal is going through the cheapest switch I could find, that actually has push button control on it!!!! Like putting bridgestones on a Ferrari....

8. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Been looking at the Gefen switches, and was quite surprised to find out they don't actually do a 'one in, two out' HDMI switch. The nearest they do is a 'two in, two out' affair. Now I'd have thought a 'one in, two out' was a standard requirement for HDMI, for anyone wanting to switch between a TV and a projector, but apparently Gefen doesn't seem to think so.

http://www.gefen.com

But I reckon that a cheap mechanical switch is far less likely to introduce any sort of electrical interference than an electronic switch might, even if it has to be switched prior to use.

Regards

Mark

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You've been looking in the switching section and not the distribution section:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2514

I would've thought the inverse regarding mechanical but to be honest I don't have a clue. I would have thought taking a digital signal, and replicating it digitally, perfectly, would be better than relying on 19 physical contact points to allow a signal through (which I would assume degrade over time, especially as a switch is constantly being rubbed over it). Not really sure but seems logical to me. I'm sure Dr John is on the case if it can be done cost effectively without detrimental effect!!!

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello Mark a

Just to be clear the Gefen Distribution boxes are not 'switches' as far as the Output stage - the Twin Outputs are active all the time!

There's no signal degradation as far as I can see when using the EXT-HDMI-142 - One In > Two Out HDMI (with Optical Audio Out) Distribution amp.

Likewise the EXT-HDMI-242 looks artefact free when inserted in a system - this is a Two Source Distribution Amp; whichever Source is selected is Output to both Displays attached to the Twin Outputs.

This unit also has RS232 control if you have a control system.

Best regards

Joe