HDMI splitter?

chuffster2005

Established Member
Reaction score
I've currently got a Telewest TV Drive connected to my Tvs (only)HDMI output.I tried to connect my Samsung upscaling dvd player to the same output,using an HDMI splitter that I got from E Bay.However,I think this wasn't very good,as it seemed to "scramble"the picture of the Tv Drive(copyright protection?).
Now I'm getting an HD-Dvd player,does anyone know of any decent HDMI splitters that will let me connect the player and Tv Drive to the HDMI socket without any interference?

What you need is an HDMI switcher, have a look at the Media Factory site of Joe F, they have a pile of the best available.

Wow!You now have the record for the worlds quickest reply!
Thanks mate!:clap:

I use a Gefen 4:2 HDMI splitter (for my PJ and plasma) which works great :)

cj said:
I use a Gefen 4:2 HDMI splitter (for my PJ and plasma) which works great :)

where abouts did u get ur gefen from?

Blimey!So expensive!Might have to put up with just swapping the leadsfor now!:D

Cheers-been to their siteand couldn't see it there though!Where did you get yours mate?

Got it from play.com but there out of stock at the mo try google it

Yeah....the thing with HDMI is if the splitter actually works then there wont be any degredation of picture. There's not much point in spending large amounts of money on switches. Cheap and cheerful is fine so long as the signal gets there intact so unless you've got large cable runs or something like that, then go for the cheaper option.

be warned that mechanical switches don't work in all situations because of how the two way communications work with HDMI.

Buy a decent one. After all, you only have to buy it once!

What's the point in spending loads on great kit and then scrimping on the connectors. My QED 4 way splitter has worked flawlessly for 3 months now. I purchased it at the same time as as my Plasma - essentially I saw this as part of the overall "cost" of the TV, which only had one HDMI input. Furthermore, my equipment is housed a fair distance away from my screen.

As for constantly swapping cables - I can't believe anyone would do this. What a hassle! Furthermore, HDMI is a fairly delicate and high tech electrical connection. Apart from damage to the leads / connectors, I would be concerned about damage to the HDMI circuits - look at the trouble with Pioneer recently - I know that that was a Pioneer design fault - but why take the risk?

Yeah fair point. All I'm trying to point out is that HDMI is a digital connection. It's not like component where it is essential to buy high quality cables and switchers. With HDMI you wont get loss of quality - it either works or it doesn't. As long as the signal gets their intact then a using £40 switcher will result in exactly the same picture as using a £500 switcher.

actually it is more complicate than works or doesn't work. There are many occasions where a signal is damaged but there is still stuff on the screen. Many of these switching boxes now include circuits that help 'repair' the signal, to enable it to have broader compatibility with cables and equipment. Look to the Octava site for some good technical info on how it is done, in fact these 'techniques' are now in the HDMI 1.3 specification.

Nic Rhodes said:
actually it is more complicate than works or doesn't work. There are many occasions where a signal is damaged but there is still stuff on the screen. Many of these switching boxes now include circuits that help 'repair' the signal, to enable it to have broader compatibility with cables and equipment. Look to the Octava site for some good technical info on how it is done, in fact these 'techniques' are now in the HDMI 1.3 specification.

I use the Octava 3-1 that I got from Joe at TMF for about £119. Does what it says on the tin with no perceivable loss of image quality. The unit is small and features auto signal or manual input selection via remote. My unit is buried in my AV cabinet but those you plan to have it on display may want to but tape over the "bright" blue led's.
AVI

Hi all,

Can someone help me? I have a TV Drive and just brought the Sony DVP-NS76H dvd player. I am looking to buy a HDMI switch box.

Anyone with any experience of the Bandridge VSB1002 switch box sold at Maplins for £69.99? or any other device cheaper or around the same price.

Thanks

Adlou71

Do a Gefen search on Ebay - plenty available :)

Why do people buy the Gefen switches that are more expensive than the Octava ones and aren't automatic (I think) ?

Why do people buy the Gefen switches that are more expensive than the Octava ones and aren't automatic (I think) ?

cj appears to have bought the Gefen because he was looking for the 4:2 switching and signal replicating facilities. Hence up to four devices going in and then two displays running simultaneously (if needed). Technically this is quite an involved process, as the HDCP handshaking process needs to be handled. More complex of course in this case of course, as two displays to be handled simultaneously.

In general, the prices of straight-forward HDMI switchers are starting to come down, as they are becoming in demand by a larger market. Remember that companies such as Gefen started making their devices for custom installers, in days when demand was relatively low and quality requirements very high. It follows that experienced AV professionals would still prefer to use these devices, as they are familiar with them and know what they can achieve. For the home DIY user though, with relatively short cable runs to manage, etc., then the newer more affordable devices may well be quite sufficient.

PS to help avoid confusion amongst the newbies out there who may be reading this thread, might be a good idea if we're all careful with our terminology here. What we are talking about in this thread are HDMI switchers, not splitters. A splitter is a device which takes one input and spilts it into one or more outputs with the same signal. The opposite of what the OP was looking for!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom