HDMI Splitter

Rononii78

Novice Member
Dear all,

I recently bought an HDMI unpowered splitter off Amazon and it turned it to be neither use nor ornament. Small print after the purchase suggested it would only work outputting to a 2M cable... My HDMI Cable is approximately 10m. Can anyone suggest a great solution for a remote controlled three in two out splitter capable of sending over 10m? Thanks

mushii

Distinguished Member
Is your cable active or hybrid fibre? As passive HDMI cables are only suitable upto 8m for 4K. Over 8m they tend to drop off a cliff edge and stop working.

Rononii78

Novice Member
I wish I knew! Rated for 4k UHD and sold at 10m. Will try it out when the projector arrives and worry about a switch later!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
An HDMI Switch should always be externally powered - or at least give you the option to add an external PSU.

You ask about a 3x2 - are both of the devices on the Output of the Switch capable of supporting the same range of video and audio signals and will you want the same or different source devices going to the two output devices?

Long HDMI - as above with a 4K UHD signal you are likely to have to consider an 'active' cable, either Copper, Fibre or Hybrid Fibre; the RuiPro4K Hybrid Fibre being the most reliable solution we have worked with.

Joe

Rononii78

Novice Member
Thanks Joe, I have a 10m cable rated and described as a 4k HDR capable cable. What I am now really struggling to find is a switch box which can push a UHD signal this distance. Unfortunately my set up and location means I need to get such a thing but a few places on Amazon only supply boxes good for less than an 8m output run. In your experience is there a supplier that offers this slightly higher spec? Thanks!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
10m HDMI cable - takes you into ‘non certified’ territory as no passive copper cable will meet the High Speed or Premium High Speed spec are that length.

Going ‘Active’ with copper, fibre or Hybrid Fibre is more reliable - though again none of the cables on the market can meet the certification spec as they can all ‘steal’ power from the Source or Sink rather than use external power (which can be added to most as an option if you hit a power starvation issue).

RuiPro4K Hybrid Fibre - is our preferred option for anything over 8m where we are not going ‘over CAT’.

HDMI Switch - you can only put a fixed voltage on the Output, if your long passive copper cable causes a drop you can then add an active repeater at the far end of the cable run and try and lift the signal back to where it ought to be.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom