Question HDMI splitter?

JimboH

Established Member
Reaction score
I've bought a new house and have bought my first projector, just trying to get a handle on what I need and where to put it.

Whilst planning my room I've realised my receiver only has one output, and I want to run my TV and new projector from it. I assume it's a HDMI splitter I need but I would appreciate some advice on the right type. I'm guessing 1 in and 2 out would work, but I want to make sure I don't lose any quality of video or audio.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Sorry if this seems basic but I have spent quite a while trying to work it out!

Cheers guys and gals

If it works you won't lose any quality unless both destination devices are on. Part of the HDCP information interchange is to identify the capability of the destination devices capability (EDID signals). With both on then the lowest common denominator has to be used. If both have identical capability it's a non issue.

Simple example, suppose you are using a blu-ray player as a source and your TV does not support 1080p24 and your projector does. With the TV on the projector output will be converted to 60Hz with some effect on motion artefacts.

As you are unlikely to use both at once it's unlikely to be an issue.

OK great, thanks for the swift reply.

So as long as it's 1 in 2 out it should be fine? Do they switch automatically when you turn off the TV and the projector on, or do I need one with a remote?

Finally any recommendations from anyone with a similar device?

Just to comment that I wouldn't recommend the '4k' ones by Neet that can be bought on Amazon. I bought a 1 x 4 and a 1 x 2 and neither worked properly (and didn't like the longer run I have for my projector). I'm back to using an older one I bought about 2 years ago that is 1 in 4 out (two TVs, one projector) and it works well at up to 1080/60p.

You may well be OK if your runs are short though. If I can try to find a link for the one I have I will post back and it was pretty cheap, so not a huge risk to try out.

Yeah it's all in one room so no cables over 5m, and I don't need 4k support so 1080p is perfect.

Yeah it's all in one room so no cables over 5m, and I don't need 4k support so 1080p is perfect.

Mine is labelled as made by 'HQ' but the nearest thing I can find is £43 on Amazon for a 4 port splitter. It does mention the 'built in enhancer' which I think is what helps mine with the longer cable run (not that you need this).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-AVSPLIT-...d=1433970177&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+splitter+HQ

If that is too expensive, then perhaps this one might be worth the lower risk (you can always return it if unsuitable anyway as I did with the Neet ones):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro®-AV-...r=1-25-spons&keywords=hdmi+2+port+splitter+HQ

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Brilliant thanks chaps, I'll give that second one a go I think!

Ideally you want an 'active' splitter (has its own power supply) and where you have an AVR in the mix a unit with the ability to change EDID and Firmware settings can be handy if you hit interoperability issues.

Your cable run lengths are relatively short so shouldn't be an issue.

The relative 'age' of your AVR and Display kit can have a bearing as 'older' kit is more prone to throwing a wobble when connected in a more 'complex' network - the HDMI chips/firmware were less well developed in terms of handling multiple handshakes.

Some Projectors are more prone to throwing a wobble too - we see certain brands more than others when folk come to us with connectivity issues.

We supply a lot of our Octava 1x2 Distribution Amp - often to folk who have had problems with lower cost units prior to trying out our unit.

Media Factory - Octava HDDA12A-UK, HDMI1x2 Distribution Amp + audio converter

Joe

Many thanks Joe, but I think Id be silly to not try the one that is 1/7th of the price first wouldn't I!

It is returnable so if it doesn't work for me I will certainly let you know.

Thanks again

James

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom