• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

HDMI splitter with Arc

leecavturbo

can any HDMI splitter keep Arc on the 1 side?

Last edited:

outoftheknow

Not too clear on the question but ARC is a feature of the HDMI socket standard.
If the sockets on a device are HDMI 1.4 or higher compliant then the socket pins are wired for ARC to pass the opposite way to the A/V signals. Cables that are certified standard or high speed or higher have the wires and pins to pass ARC.

Noting thethread title I presume you are asking if ARC will be 'split'?' From a technical point of view it should but I haven't tried it. When you say splitter do you mean one input and two or more identical outputs? Or a selector with two or more inputs and one output?

ARC travels the opposite way to the AV signal from say a TV HDMI input. Every device manual will show one cable from an AV system output to the TV input - but as I say I don't think there is anything in the HDMI standard that will prevent ARC from being split.

If you ahve a cheap splitter chances are the best way to find out is try it and see. If you are spending a decent amount of money the manual or at least the manufacturer of the splitter should help. In any case the sockets need to be at least HDMI 1.4 for ARC to work.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
ARC is an optional feature to the HDMI 1.4 and onwards spec.

ARC depends on a HDMI CEC handshake to work and you cannot have 2 potentially different handshakes and or different data coming from 2 screens back to the 1 side of a simple splitter.

For this reason most simple splitters do not do ARC.

Switches are different in that there is usually only one channel active at any one time so ARC is possible through switches depending on model and on whether or not that feature is supported.

outoftheknow

ARC is an optional feature to the HDMI 1.4 and onwards spec.
Apologies I should have been clearer. It is optional in the sockets so if the device is marked HDMI 1.4 or above and sockets are marked or informed to support ARC then any HDMI complaint marked cable will transmit ARC if it is there.

As I said switched and splitters are a different thing. If the OP wishes to provide more details that may help :)

leecavturbo

Yes I need a splitter to send video to 2 screens from my amp. But when 1 screen is the video source I want that screen to use arc to route audio to the amp.

leecavturbo

Ideal setup. Infact this is what I have and HDMI instruction is telling and switching my amp correctly when I start smart TV app content the amp switches from its current input to the tv (output) but alas without arc sound ( so nearly but not quite )

Slide1.PNG

Last edited:

leecavturbo

Suspect this will be cheap option ?

Slide1.PNG

Last edited:

leecavturbo

???

andy1249

Distinguished Member
The splitter will dictate what happens further down the chain so ARC is not going to work as long as that splitter is there.

The audio extractor unit layout wont work because of this.

The only option I see working in that layout is to replace the spltter with a 4x2 matrix switch.
Neet do one for approx 80 to 100.

iffihyd

Novice Member
sorry to use old thread but its related.

i have a samsung home theatre which is connected to Sony TV via HDMI ARC. sounds works from samsung home theatre and the audio on home theatre can be controlled with TV remote. i recently added an additional JBL sound bar which Has HDMI ARC port so I want to connect it to TV HDMI ARC port. Can I use HDMI Y Cable to connect both the home theatre and sound bar via HDMI ARC and control sound of home theatre and sound bar with TV remote?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom