HDMI splitter twixt TV and Amp

jaymac

Considering getting the panny 42 GT30 and the Panny 310 3d player as it has 2 HDMI outs .But is there a splitter that will channel the vid to the tv and the audio to the amp which is a Pioneer vsx_1018AH. which would enable me to get the Panny 210 wiht just one HDMI output . Dont particularly want to get rid of the pioneer as with both knees Blown not upto wrestling with all new connections though am abit tempted with the Sony 820 all views/opinions welcome

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Knee pads on - better to install that extra cable if you can!

Splitting the 3D video + HD audio from a single HDMI socket is tricky if not nigh on impossible.

If you only have a single HDMI cable going to the TV and it’s not practical to install a second cable you could put a 3D capable Switch on the end of the cable going to the TV and Switch between the AVR Output and the 3D video stream from the BD player.

http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDS3-UK.htm

Joe

jaymac

Thanks Joe I perhaps was not clear enough in my needs I Dont want tpo slit the audio from the video I would think my amp would just use the audio signal as I would no longer have the hdmi out fom it connected meaning the splitter would just send the same to both the amp and the TV . Are you saying this does not happen?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
OK reread your original post - go with the dual Output unit if you have a non-3D enabled AVR.

Splitting the HDMI Output of the single HDMI Out unit into A. 3D Video + B. HD Audio when your AVR is not 3D capable is nigh on impossible due to the way EDID works.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
A suitable Distribution Amp (Splitter) will deliver FullHD Video + HD Audio to multiple Sync devices which are capable of supporting those signals - the problem you face is that your 2D only AVR will (using EDID) tell the Source to stay in 2D mode - that is why some manufacturers supply BD Players with a Master + an Audio Only HDMI port.

Go with the Dual Output BD Player and save yourself a lot of grief.

Joe

jaymac

Sorry Joe got my thick head on whats 2D got to do with the audio my amp is fully HD audio capable I cant get my head round the difference twixt running two hdmi cables from, the player (that has 2 outs) one to tv and one to amp and splitting one hdmi from a player into two then doing the same thing .I would have thought that would be seen by the amp the same unless of course splitters are not capable . Loads must have this problem as there are very few Players with 2 hdmi outs it appears

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Source HDMI Out to Splitter then Splitter Out to 3D TV + non-3D Amp – the Source ‘sees’ the EDID from both the TV and the Amp and can only Output 2D + HD Audio.

Source HDMI Out to Splitter (with internal 3D EDID) then Splitter Out to 3D TV + non-3D Amp – the Source ‘sees’ the 3D EDID from the Splitter and can now Output 3D + HD Audio; problem is the Amp will refuse to work with the 3D signal and simply say no go.

The Splitter (remember it should be called a Distribution Amp) cannot ‘’separate’ the 3D Video to one device and the HD audio to the other – it can only ‘Mirror’ the Input signal to both Outputs; that’s why you get the dual Output BD Players with 1 x Master + 1 x Audio Only HDMI socket!

It is possible to create a stand-alone HDMI Video/Audio ‘Separator’ – problem is the licensing costs are relatively high for the required chip sets so it becomes uneconomical to produce/sell to the target market!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom