• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDMI splitter to two different resolution panels?

Hallsy

From what I gather, when you split an HDMI signal to two different panels, it will sync at the resolution of lowest res panel?

I have a 1080i LCD and a 1080p plasma, all I want to split is Sky HD at the moment, so am I right to assume as Sky HD is outpout at 1080i I shouldn't have any issues?

In time to ome though, I may plan to split some other signals so I guess I'd have to use a matrix, do they maintain the correct resolution for each display?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
An HDMI Switch, Distribution Amp, Matrix etc. are simply ‘Passthru’ devices – if you want to be able to send 1080p from a Source into a device that can then send independent pre-set Outputs to two different displays you need a very high end Video Processor costing a few thousand £££.

SKY+ HD is 1080i so not a problem sending it to your two displays via a suitable Distribution Amp – if its relevant you may wish to ensure your Distribution Amp supports 3-D.

Where you have a 1080p source feeding two Displays (1 x 1080i + 1 x 1080p) via a Distribution Amp the EDID from the Displays will either always force the Source to 1080i or may auto sense when only the 1080p Display is active and reset the Source to 1080p; how this works varies from kit combination to combination depending on the Firmware on your Displays and Distribution Amp.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom