HDMI Splitter or Audio Extractor

Matthew Legg

Novice Member
Reaction score
After a lot of experimenting, trying to get rid of some nasty black pixilation between my Nvidia Shield 4k, Sony cinema system and Optoma UHD33 I have found that plugging my 4k cable straight into the projector gets rid of the problem.

That's great but I still need audio, so my question is, am I better using an HDMI splitter and plugging channel into the ARC channel of the cinema system and just using it for sound? Or would I better with an audio extractor device and just sending audio to the cinema system using the optical channel? The Sony uses 5.1 speakers and I really want o make the most of the surround sound.

Thanks

What Sony AV receiver are you using as it seems this is what is causing the issue and it might be better looking at this and see what it's doing to cause the black pixilation

Do have a look at the settings to within the NVidia as it seems you have these options to choose from

YCbCr 4:2:2 12-bit Rec. 2020
YCbCr 4:4:4 8-bit Rec. 709
YCbCr 4:2:2 12-bit Rec. 709
RGB 8-bit Rec. 709
YCbCr 4:2:0 8-bit Rec. 709
YCbCr 4:2:0 10-bit Rec. 709
YCbCr 4:2:0 10-bit Rec. 2020

See if any of the options resolves the issue. Do also make sure your Sony isn't adding anything to the equation by ensuring its set to bypass or passthrough. If none of these resolves the issue and you produces are certified to deliver what you are trying to output, I would contact Sony customer service to see what they have to suggest as things correct themselves when it is taken out of the equation

'my 4k cable' - what do you have and how long is the cable?

'Sony cinema system' - what do you have?

Joe

What Sony AV receiver are you using as it seems this is what is causing the issue and it might be better looking at this and see what it's doing to cause the black pixilation

Do have a look at the settings to within the NVidia as it seems you have these options to choose from

YCbCr 4:2:2 12-bit Rec. 2020
YCbCr 4:4:4 8-bit Rec. 709
YCbCr 4:2:2 12-bit Rec. 709
RGB 8-bit Rec. 709
YCbCr 4:2:0 8-bit Rec. 709
YCbCr 4:2:0 10-bit Rec. 709
YCbCr 4:2:0 10-bit Rec. 2020

See if any of the options resolves the issue. Do also make sure your Sony isn't adding anything to the equation by ensuring its set to bypass or passthrough. If none of these resolves the issue and you produces are certified to deliver what you are trying to output, I would contact Sony customer service to see what they have to suggest as things correct themselves when it is taken out of the equation
The system is Sony BDV-N7100W. I had the same pixilation problem with a 4k Firestick only worse. The Nvidea Shield is better and higher gamma settings on my projector also help.

Do you think the problem is the type of signal that the Shield is sending to the Sony or the way the Sony is reading it?

BTW, if I play a blu ray disk on the Sony the picture is perfect.

The picture is also perfect if I plug the Optoma straight into the shield.

'my 4k cable' - what do you have and how long is the cable?

'Sony cinema system' - what do you have?

Joe
Hi Joe,
You actually helped me with this a few weeks ago. Its a 25m 4k fibre cable.

Seems to work fine and so much better than the old Optoma wireless transmitter.

I could be a communication issue from the NVidia which will send a hand shake to the connecting device and from there output the required signal.

In the manual, page 60 and onwards, Sony say:

[YCbCr/RGB (HDMI)] [Auto]: Automatically detects the type of external equipment, and switches to the matching color setting.
[YCbCr (4:2:2)]: Outputs YCbCr 4:2:2 video signals.
[YCbCr (4:4:4)]: Outputs YCbCr 4:4:4 video signals.
[RGB]: Select this when connecting to an equipment with an HDCP compliant DVI jack.

[HDMI Deep Colour Output] [Auto]: Normally select this. [16bit], [12bit], [10bit]: Outputs 16bit/ 12bit/10bit video signals when the connected TV is compatible with Deep Colour. [Off]: Select this when the picture is unstable or colors appear unnatural.

[SBM] (Super Bit Mapping) [On]: Smooths the gradation of video signals output from the HDMI (OUT) jack. [Off]: Select this when outputting distorted video signals or unnatural color. (if this is turned on, maybe turn it off)

So, maybe have a look these area and see if it changes anything. The part in bold text which I have added is a must if its switched on as this could be causing the effects

Last edited:
Nvidia Sheld - note what the Output format is with the direct connection to the Projector and try and compare with what is happening via the Sony system.

As Shane says the Sony Input may be a limiting factor - try downgrading the Nvidea Output to 1080p and follow the Sony guidelines on colour depth etc

Another option is to try a low cost (approx. £15) 5V HDMI power inserter on the Fibre HDMI cable - the Sony may be struggling to supply the required voltage to the cable.

Joe

Another option is to try a low cost (approx. £15) 5V HDMI power inserter on the Fibre HDMI cable - the Sony may be struggling to supply the required voltage to the cable.
I suspect it will be this as the budget products from Sony are quite poor on this side (if it isn't the SBM). I've experienced it before and as you have already mentioned a similar thing with Firestick which delivers a poor signal from what I've experienced in the the past when you connect it to a source which shows its short comings, it sounds more like it

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I tried different settings on the Sony and it doesn't help. The HDMI splitter arrived today and I'm only using the Sony for sound now.

The picture from the Nvidia straight to the Optoma looks great.

I'll probably upgrade the Sony to a decent receiver at some point but I'm really happy now and all the blacks look great.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom